Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Windscreen Fogging Up Constantly.. Any Idea What's Wrong?

Martin_G

Hi Guys looking for some advice my 09 Auris windscreen and rear windows are constantly fogging up, it driving me crazy! I am going to try change the pollen filter but don't believe this is the problem, it's happening mainly in damp or cold weather, all window and door seals seem fine, tonight it was 1 degree Celsius and it took nearly 15-20 mins with windscreen heater on full to clear windscreen, I can't see anything blocking exit where air is blown out on to windscreen so at a loss to why this is happening. Any ideas?

As a suggestion Try checking the boot carpet and spare wheel well as this area is known for water leaks , this could cause the interior windows to be misted up

As already stated check under carpets and in boot for water. Seals to vents behind the rear bumper may have perished.

Have you got the ventilation system on recirc?

Use your air conditioning in addition to heat to demist your windows - more effective and faster demisting.

I had the same problem from new on my 09 Auris so I complained about it to the dealer but they told me just to open the back windows to clear the condensation. After I found a couple of inches of water in the spare wheel well I went back to them again when they admitted it was a known problem and fitted new air vents. So Toyota knew about the problem and the dealer knew about the problem but if they can fob you off through the warranty period then you'll have to pay for it to be fixed. Great.

The only other thing I'd add is if you're driving home at night with the heat turned up high try turning it down quite a bit for the last quarter mile or so. If you park the car outside make sure you close all the air vents to stop cold air coming in from the outside which should help cut down the condensation.

Leaving a large bowl of coffee/rice in the car overnight can help cut down internal misting (Assuming it isn't caused by a water leak in the car somewhere!)

Just remember to take it out before driving off!! :lol:

The tip about the heater is a good one; Hot air holds more water than cold so if your car is toasty and warm when you get home, it's worth holding the door open a bit longer to let it all escape.

If you leave the inside warm overnight, it cools down and all the water in the warm air tends to condense on the windows.

Cyker, I've a good mind to refer your post to the Scottish so-called government as an example of Sassenach discrimination. In the interests of us Jimmies north of the border you should have said "Leaving a large bowl of coffee/rice/haggis/porridge in the car overnight...". You can expect a visit from the Brayfart polis. :blow:

• Like 1

For what it's worth my 2014 Icon+ Auris does the same but nowhere near to that extent (of time)! Good luck in sorting it! Red :)

Have you checked the rear lights, there is a known problem with water entering the rear lights, the passenger side more often at fault, if water is lying in the light assembly the seal is at fault, i had the same problem, my mechanic put sealant on the seal & it has worked a treat, no more condensation at all, 2 minute job but works wonders, if water is lying in the spare wheel area there is two rubber seals under the spare wheel, just pop them out to release the water, dry the area thoroughly then put sealant on your rear light assembly rubber, that should solve your problem if indeed it is the rear lights at fault.

Cyker, I've a good mind to refer your post to the Scottish so-called government as an example of Sassenach discrimination. In the interests of us Jimmies north of the border you should have said "Leaving a large bowl of coffee/rice/haggis/porridge in the car overnight...". You can expect a visit from the Brayfart polis. :blow:

Haggis????!!!!! :eek:

Get some odourless cat litter put it in a sock fill to the heel tie it off and put inside another sock and just put it on the dash at night or leave it under a seat and it will help considerably or stop the inside becoming misted up

If you don't have a leak, just leave the climate control on all the time, it will eventually take water out of the air.