Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keys

fazeryam

Hi guys

My idiot student son has managed to loose all the keys to his 2001 Yaris. The car is open but we don't have a key number. His nearest Toyota dealer is 40 miles away. Any help with the procedure (cheapest route) would be greatly appreciated.

Not good news I'm afraid :(

Given the age of the car, and esp. if it's a petrol one, the cheapest route would probably be to sell it and get a new one TBH.

There is another thread that's covered a lot of this already (Do a search or have a browse on the Yaris forum), where I posted some links to auto-locksmiths who claim they can hack the ECU to add keys without master keys, but you have to remove the whole ECU and transponder and send it to them, and that won't help with the physical locks for which you will probably need new barrels unless the locksmith can cut new keys from existing barrels (Which would also require one to be removed and sent to them!).

Thanks for that!

So reading some other posts, we could get a scrap ecu with keys which would solve one problem, then get a key cut for the locks? Would it help if we had the original key number?

Does anyone know of a company that can reprogram the ecu and cut new keys?

That'll be enough to cut the key and I think you can clone the transponder so it'll start the car too.

Can't program a remote or use it to code new keys into the ECU tho'.

I don't want to post a new thread given that this one is very similar, but can anyone tell me roughly how much it should cost to copy a key w/ remote? Any recommendations around the North West/Greater Manchester area?

Thanks in advance.

I have had 2 done in the last 2 months and found the main dealer was cheaper than places like timpsons

the yaris one was £130 and the auris one was £97

I have had 2 done in the last 2 months and found the main dealer was cheaper than places like timpsons

Thanks. Just got off the phone to them and they quoted £125 for the key and another £60 to program into ECU. I didnt think this second step was necessary as they are just cloning the existing key thus the ECU wouldn't be able to distinguish between one key or the other. Can you/anyone confirm this? I can't recall Timpsons asking to tamper with my ECU. :bored:

Thanks. Just got off the phone to them and they quoted £125 for the key and another £60 to program into ECU. I didnt think this second step was necessary as they are just cloning the existing key thus the ECU wouldn't be able to distinguish between one key or the other. Can you/anyone confirm this? I can't recall Timpsons asking to tamper with my ECU. :bored:

I would expect the dealer to be doing a proper job and getting a new key with a new (unique coded) transponder and then accessing the ECU to 'add' the new key.

A good auto locksmith should be able to do that for less (I've had this done for a Ford and it was about £60-£70 including the key). A clone would be much cheaper. Whoever you use you need to be clear about whether you are going to get a 'new' key or a clone.

I wouldn't let Timpsons even touch my car keys, but that's just a personal thing :P

I would expect the dealer to be doing a proper job and getting a new key with a new (unique coded) transponder and then accessing the ECU to 'add' the new key.

A good auto locksmith should be able to do that for less (I've had this done for a Ford and it was about £60-£70 including the key). A clone would be much cheaper. Whoever you use you need to be clear about whether you are going to get a 'new' key or a clone.

I wouldn't let Timpsons even touch my car keys, but that's just a personal thing :P

The price I paid was for a fully working keys not sure how they did it though , they are genuine Toyota keys .

Haha your lucky, i lost my Corolla keys for 5 years!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links