Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 1600 Vvt-I Auto Accelerator Problem

RobJF

Hi, hope somebody can help me with this problem. The mechanic I usually go to is suggesting that a new part is required but will be big bucks (relative to value of car that is).

The issue most often appears when trying to cruise at constant speed, say 30 in a built-up area. Of course in that situation you're constantly making adjustments with the right foot, the actual speed is going up and down within a small range. So I press down to bring the speed up slightly and all power disappears. To get past that I press slightly more and it comes back on, but of course it's more than I really wanted, I let the speed drop again, and the sequence repeats.

It's been like that for a while but lately has gotten worse. Previously there was no obvious effect on mpg but now that's down to about 32. (I'm assuming that's what's causing it, hope there isn't something else as well!) The engine management warning light is on most of the time.

Any suggestions?

What is causing the engine management light to come on? Has this been diagnosed

My friendly mechanic says it's the same thing that's causing the symptom I described. I could have asked him exactly what that was but at the time I was inclined to accept his view that component replacement was the answer. Seems obvious now I need to ask him which component he's talking about and I'll do that on Monday but I was wondering whether somebody here might have had the same experience. He's Toyota-trained, by the way, and I got the strong impression he was talking about an assembly. Is a diagram of the relevant parts available online?