Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Bulb Socket

toylexus

Hello all, Recently went to change my p/s headlight bulb only to discover the socket had partly melted, connection was really poor so decided I needed a new socket, went to three different scrap yards to get one off another auris only to find they were all gone. Apparently this is a common problem.

Anyone else heard about this?

Haven't come across this problem before, and a search in the Auris club only comes up with this topic. The only reason I can think this happens is due to using too high a wattage bulb such as an 80 or 100w bulb - and these aren't legal for road use.

Yes 55w is the OE fitment and more powerful bulbs aren't legal for road use.

Upgrade halogen bulbs like the Oxfam Nightbreaker Unlimited are also 55w.

checked the bulb and its def a "ring" 55w, gonna try Toyota today to see what they say. Both scrappies say its common and getting a second hand socket is like finding a hens tooth. They said can happen on either side but most common on p/s.

As its a Ring bulb, then the bulb has been changed at some point. Ring and Halfords bulbs are actually made for them by a company called Alite.

Makes me wonder whether the scrappies only sell the bulb holder with the headlight unit as a complete item, and they don't want to sell you just the bulb holder.

You could send Parts King a personal message detailing your car and what you want, and ask whether the bulb holder is sold separately - if it is Parts King will provide a price for you, probably with a bit of discount.

PM your chassis number and I will check a part number for you

I've read about the headlight bulb connector melting on the Avensis, although I can't find the thread(s). IIRC there was a change (or maybe a modification at some point) from plastic to metal connectors.

I've read about the headlight bulb connector melting on the Avensis, although I can't find the thread(s). IIRC there was a change (or maybe a modification at some point) from plastic to metal connectors.

2003-2005 Avensis had a problem with the bulb carrier ( the reflector unit ) melting around the bulb distorting its position and reducing light output. The fix was to change the headlamp for a unit with a metal rather than plastic reflector.

spoke to Toyota today who vaguely said there was issues with this problem on some auris, called with my auto electrician who says he has about 4 auris a year with burnt sockets and like alan has said was the same problem on the avensis, he said the two most common faults with auris are the burnt headlight sockets and the power steering ecu.