Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

02 Avensis Dipped Headlights Very High And Bright.

chimerical26

Hi. I just got stopped by the cops because my headlights are too bright. He thought I had fulls on. I had a look myself and it's true they are ridiculously bright when dipped and are probably blinding everyone on the road.

I am driving an '02 Toyota Avensis. The thing you turn if you have something heavy in the boot does nothing. The lights don't move. I found a blue fuse down in the footwell on the drivers side that had come loose a while back but could find where it was from. I don't know if it's related. Where would you start to look if you had this problem?

tl;dr my dipped headlights are very high and bright.

There are adjusters on the back for setting the aim.

My bet is someone put none genuine headlamps in it, the type that do not adjust with the headlamp leveller. The Avensis headlamps were famous for burning out and the replacements were expensive, someone probably went for the cheaper option which are not really suitable

• Like 1

You have a mk1 post 2000 model, so should not have the burnout issue mentioned. I thought it was the mk2 that had headlamp issue, but the post 2000 models headlamps are slightly different to my pre 2000 model.

I think a cable has become detached to the motors, switch or to earth. The 10a fuse is marked "Tail" located in the instrument panel, is shared with most of the exterior lights.

The cable from the fuse to the headlamp level motors is green (with junction boxes).

The cable to the level control is green then green and white.

A cable from one of the motors (1) to the control is white and black then white.

Another cable - light green connects both motors to the control.

The to earth, the control and the other motor (2) is white and black.

There are junction boxes and connectors so one of these may have disconnected, either to the switch or to the earth.

If all the cables have good connection, then one of the motors or the controller may be faulty.

Or as Parts-King says the head lamps have been replaced with cheap version without motors. Then you will have to manually adjust them with a compromise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links