Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Touring Sport Hybrid Heating.

Country Music Man

I'm considering buying an Auris T S Hybrid probably Icon + and would like to ask existing owners a couple of questions. How good is the heating in the Auris Touring Sports Hybrid Icon +? There seems to be quite a number of critical comments in various threads. Is it possible to have nice cosy toasty feet and reasonably fresh air to face? Are back seat passengers catered for with back seat heating vents or do they feel cold? I currently drive a Prius and heating is ok but I'm considing an Auris T S Hybrid and would like to think that the heating is at least as good.

Moved to the Hybrid/Toyota Prius club, with link left in the Auris club, to generate responses from both clubs.

Personally i have a Auris Excel Hybrid, And i think the heating is crap, The prius is miles better, Only put Eskimos in the back.

• Like 2

Many thanks for replying Stompe and PeteB. Looks like either another Prius or look elsewhere other than Toyota. Pity that Toyota can't make an Auris with decent heating.

• Like 1

I've not driven the Auris so can't say, but I know on the Prius that to get the full hottest heat you need to have the climate set to 'HI'. I don't mean that to sound obvious, but I think the HI setting gives it all the heat, whereas 25c doesn't. I'm sure that in really cold weather the car has a electric heater that comes into play to give it a boost when warming up.

Maybe the Auris doesn't have this? Was the climate turned to HI? Maybe the heating system isn't as good after all?

I've not driven the Auris so can't say, but I know on the Prius that to get the full hottest heat you need to have the climate set to 'HI'. I don't mean that to sound obvious, but I think the HI setting gives it all the heat, whereas 25c doesn't.

Thats not the case with mine, if its 5C outside and I select 25C in cabin then it wacks it to full heat and self adjusts as it reaches that temp.

Thanks for the replies guys but I'm really interested in how good (or how poor) the heating is in the Auris T S Hybrid. I already have a Prius and the heating is ok. Stompe, when you say it is "crap", could you please elaborate a little. For example is it possible to get good heat to your feet? Do heated seats help? If it's so bad in the back why do Toyota not fix it?

I think somewhere in the previous thread it was confirmed the Auris didn't have vents under the front seats to feed heat to the back, hence comments about rear passengers being too cold.

• Like 1

Hiya Cmm :driving:

It seems to take ages to warm up and the feet setting is of little use. At first I thought the thermostat was not working but thanks to this forum I learnt its a trait of the car. There is no rear vents. I have it on air con all the time to my feet and it is still not what I call warm. The heated seats are fine, thinking of having it converted to hand controls so i can kneel on the heated seat LOL. On a serious note, its spoiled my experience of the car. In my mind the Prius (which I've had two) have great heaters.

Bit strange - as the first generation does have rear vents. and the second generation is a thorough re-working of the first. Type Approval was also carried forwards from the first generation.

Thanks Stompe. I think maybe a 24 hour test drive in January mighht be a good idea before I decide.

• Like 1

Hiya Cmm :driving:

It seems to take ages to warm up and the feet setting is of little use. At first I thought the thermostat was not working but thanks to this forum I learnt its a trait of the car. There is no rear vents. I have it on air con all the time to my feet and it is still not what I call warm. The heated seats are fine, thinking of having it converted to hand controls so i can kneel on the heated seat LOL. On a serious note, its spoiled my experience of the car. In my mind the Prius (which I've had two) have great heaters.

Have you tried turning AC off ?

AC is cooling the air and fighting against the heater.

I know in my Prius+, once I've demisted, I turn off AC and don't get the cold draught on my feet it produces a little more heat.

Once the engine is up to temp, if it's a damp day, I turn it back on again to maintain the demisting.

Hiya kithmo,

In a word no I haven't, my air con is on all the time summer and winter, but am willing to try anything. Surely when you set the temperature on climate control that should be the temperature?

Hiya kithmo,

In a word no I haven't, my air con is on all the time summer and winter, but am willing to try anything. Surely when you set the temperature on climate control that should be the temperature?

Hi Stompe,

I'm thinking of when first starting out on your journey, getting the cabin warm quicker. You're correct that the climate control should keep the cabin at the temp you set, but in my experience, the figure on the display does not correspond to the actual cabin temp, it's at least 2 or 3 deg C below what you set it at. I think Toyota did this on purpose to make you keep the heat down and incurr less ICE starting up, hence saving fuel. I used to keep the heat off or low when I had the Gen3 and wrap up well but now if, like me, you'd rather have heat than save fuel, then bung it on 23 or 24 deg C (or higher if you like) and turn AC of at first and it should keep you warm. Oh, and don't turn ECO mode on.

Forgot to mention, there are some draughts coming through the door handles on mine and was on the Gen3, is the Auris the same ?

Ok went on a 1000 mile trip today with passenger in back. I have 1.3 Auris so may be slightly different. Back was cold because no vents under the seats or anything but my old hatchback had it. Second thing is that its really crap at de-misting, it takes forever even at 'HI' which is typically 31 degrees, it takes about 40 seconds when my 10 year old car took 8-9 seconds to. Lastly you have to keep it on HI to get hot air, 26-28 degrees is not hot..... But once the heating gets going it gets boiling hot and thats the good bit

I own the TS Excel and I think the whole system is weak and difficult to dial in a comfortable temperature. I have issues with condensation of the rear window and the front windscreen at times. There are no feet vents to the rear either. Whilst it is not the end of the world but paying for a £25k car that does not cater for rear passengers is penny pinching in the extreme.

• Like 1

Thanks Pork Pie. I think I've heard enough to put me off this car. Pity that a company like Toyota can't get it right. So it will either be another Prius or something other than a Toyota.

Hiya, I've just emailed my dealer, and asked him to upload these comments to Toyota GB, i will post the response, Please don't hold your breath. lol

I'm afraid I find it hard to think Toyota care too much about what their customers actually want - here's one reason why:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/163989-why-so-low-in-the-sales-ranking/?p=1360119

However, with the new choice of an option for smaller wheels on some models, maybe that's changing...

I've always thought climate control was weak on all cars I've had with it except for the last Mk4 Ford Mondeo I owned.

The first car I had with it was a Mk3 Mondeo V6 petrol and I actually took it back to the dealers because I though it was faulty, they reprogrammed it and things improved a little but not much. The next one was a later Mk3 Mondeo diesel which took forever to get to temperature but once warm the heater was a slight improvement over the previous Mk3. Then I got a Mk4 mondeo diesel which had an electric heating element in the heater which operated until the coolant reached temperature, this was a huge improvement and I got heat from the vents within 3-4 minutes of starting. I never had any problems with demisting on the Mondeos thanks to the quickclear electric heated front screen and the powerful rear screen heater element on them all.

Then I got the Gen 3 Prius, took me back 10 years to the first Mk3 Mondeo days except I didn't have a heated front screen. The Prius+ is a bit better than the Gen 3 was, it demists quicker, but the heating is about the same.

Give us the old Cold to hot and vent direction levers back please.

I have an Auris Icon plus tourer, 1.4 diesel. It takes an age to warm up, but once warm the heater is fine. I do find I need the blower on quite high until fully warmed up to get any heat into the car. One aspect I really like is heated seats, it makes a fantastic difference, I can't have them on for long but boy, is it nice :lol:

Thanks Pork Pie. I think I've heard enough to put me off this car. Pity that a company like Toyota can't get it right. So it will either be another Prius or something other than a Toyota.

Hi CMC

i love the car, which I have had for 3 months, as I always wanted a hybrid with the practicality of an estate. There is nothing out there that offers such a combination yet. When driven the right way with forward planning gives me 60 mpg overall and on some trips gives me 70-75 mpg.

The ventilation system quirks is something I perhaps I have to live with as do the passengers! If the rear window is misty then ill have to lower the window which is something I last did when I started motoring in the early 90s and when sat with my parents in the late 70s/80s.

The climate control system is like an all or nothing system that has its work cut out in keeping a large cabin area ventilated.

Have a look at the Icon Plus trim which has the rear vents (why they are omitted from the Excel, i simply do not know) and almost as as much equipment as the range topper except the sensors which can be fitted my the dealer and single zone climate control (i think). Also the Icon Plus lacks the smart entry system which has been the centre of this issue of batteries going flat. It took Toyota a great deal of time to sort out a long term fix during which they claimed many things that were generally of course the owners fault.

Otherwise I'd go back to the Prius option. Good luck and merry xmas in advance.

I recall the original post regarding cold air on face and warm air on feet - this kind of facility used to be available on a lot of systems. especially on Japanese and German cars, many decades ago where it was a bare minimum for just the centre dashboard vents offering fresh air which along with warm feet which promoted a very comfortable cabin environment.

Today unless you go for a BMW at least, you are now faced with roasting /freezing face and toes.

Many thanks for all the comments folks. Pork Pie, are you sure the Icon + has rear vents? Seems very odd that they would be in the Icon + and not in the Excel. I think the answer is a 24 hour test drive in an Icon + HSD if I can get it and give the heating system a thorough test in January. It would only be fair to give it a try.