Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid Tyre Size

farenheit

Hi All

Im guessing this topics probably been discussed to death but i couldnt find anything specific to the 1st Gen Hybrid.

I currently have 215/45R17 tyres all round on my 1st Gen Auris Hybrid T-Spirit, however i was looking to replace my tyres but wanted to know if it's possible to fit 225/45R17 tyres instead? I seem to find that there is more of a selection and cheaper too.

Can i just replace with these without any detrimental effects and which size are better?

Thanks all :)

You could get away with it they will look a bit chunky for that particular wheel it's more than likely a 7 inch wide rim so you can do so I would get one trial fitted and look on the rim some decent places with decent people will do it happily with a used tyre just to see what it looks like ...

In some markets the current generation Auris/Auris Hybrid/Touring Sports Hybrid come with 225/45/R17 tyres.

215/45 r17s should fit 7" - 8.5" rims, 225/45 r17s are meant to be fitted to 7.5" - 9" rims.

your speedo would read 1.3% higher than it did.

You probably also ought to tell your insurance company

Such a small increase in the Speedo reading against how much a Speedo is out would be fine if ...would closer to the actual speed .... But yes I would ask your insurance companies opinion as they might even care

Thanks all for the repsonses, might get a part used as a test :)

I wasnt aware id have to tell the insurance company though? My understanding is that its only a tyre change not an alloy change, cant i just change them without having to inform my insurance, surely its just a diferent tyre.

You could do are you changing all four tyres

Yep...

Looking to change all four if they dont make the car look like it's on steroids! lol

Well I would say you would be fine as in the event of an accident say they would see all four are the same and just replace one for one should they need to I have done it myself on other cars I have had

Well I would say you would be fine as in the event of an accident say they would see all four are the same and just replace one for one should they need to I have done it myself on other cars I have had

Thanks..

Now i just need to get my lazy ***** out the house and get cracking!! :D

But don't blame me if for some reason they do find out and cancel your insurance or waive it void

Thanks all for the repsonses, might get a part used as a test :)

I wasnt aware id have to tell the insurance company though? My understanding is that its only a tyre change not an alloy change, cant i just change them without having to inform my insurance, surely its just a diferent tyre.

It's not just a different tyre, it's a different size of tyre ... It depends upon the insurance company & whether the size is a standard size for that model.

Where it really will matter is if (as I suspect may be the case) your car has 7" wide rims & you fit 225/45 which are meant to be on 7.5" - 9.0" rims. It's always worth running it by your insurance company first - it might save you spending money unwisely & gives peace of mind.

To give you an idea of how finicky they can be my car for the Winter is on a set of original Toyota Avensis (T27) oem T4 alloys (I wasn't paying £1000 for another new set of T27 T-Spirit alloys & I've never seen a s/h set on eBay etc.) - that constitutes a modification as far as my insurer is concerned even though I'm running an Avensis standard tyre size on an appropriately sized Avensis standard wheel from a mechanically identical vehicle..

I've seen a lot of this about actual winter wheels being classed as a mod as it's changing the look of the car they told me on my old car that the steel wheels with winter tyres made it more attractive to thieves ( because they weren't the rims I insured ) but the cosworth BBS wheels where not likely to be nicked ( apparently because that's what is insured when I first took out the policy ... But whenever it came to just tyres it was fine as it was seen as using standard wheels .... Very odd to me but I looked over some other forums and they are sayin the same about the wheels and that tyres aren't classed as a mod ... Even tho that's the actual bit that can be used for performance

Problem is that opinions vary between insurance companies as to what constitutes a modification. Forums are very useful, but basically contain advice and opinions of individuals - some of which is sound and some of which isn't.

Best advice if one is considering making a change to one's vehicle, is to check with one's insurer whether the change is acceptable to them. That way one can make informed decisions.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links