Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr180 Noise From Wheels....?

StevieH888

Ive got an infrequent noise coming from the wheels. I think its the front.

Am an extremely amateur mechanic, but enough to know that it is definately not break squeal, it never happens with the brakes applied.

The noise is similar to a squeal but not as high a frequency, and it undulates, higher and lower frequency as the wheels turn (sounds a bit like a wagon wheel).

It happens maybe once in an hours driving and lasts less than 5 seconds.

Usually at lower speeds.

The longest it happened was when i was just coming into the kerb to park, so carried on down the road to keep the noise going, steering left and right to see if that changed it (it didnt seem too), then i reversed to try it again (creeping slowly forwards), and it stopped.

I took it to a garage, but they couldnt find anything wrong and could only identify brake squeal, which has happened since i got the pads changed a year or so back.

Any ideas what this mystery noise might be?

I'd have said possible semi-seized pads or sticking piston in a brake calliper, or calliper sticking in its slides, giving you rubbing pad(s) on the disc which would make a squealing / rubbing noise then this would disappear when you apply firm brake pressure. The garage should have checked all this out though, same for an incipient wheel bearing failure.

You mention wagon wheels, maybe you just got a piece of bailing wire wrapped around your driveshaft?

Hi it might be your new pads, the material for pads (original toyota pads) has changed due to EU regulations so they are a bit harder then before.

It happens to me while driving, I hear them for a while and then it stops. The service told me it stops after the hard particles are worn out. If it bothers you try installing different after market pads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, the pads are getting on for a year old, they are from euro car parts, the rears started to hit the indicator a few months back which I replaced, but made me think not the best quality in the world (I do 15k p.a, and I try to avoid braking).

As TDG says must be something not quite right in terms of seizing, the garage said couldn't hear any thing but brake sqeal , and it wasnt anything wrong with the wheels etc , I assume they push and pulled qand visually inspected. They charged me nothing but said they could service the front brakes to get rid of the noise , I was thinking its not brake squeal that's bothering me but if doing a service reveals seized stuff then maybe its a good idea.

Thanks both.