Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Desperately Seeking Honest Advice For (Not New) Car!

paulcornwall

Hi Guys, sorry to hi jack your forum like this but my family are in need of another vehicle. I have three daughters aged 9 months, 3 years and 8 years old. I need a car able to accomadate the children, myself and the wife. I have considered the VW Touran, Pug 307sw, Picasso but keep getting told about the Verso.

I do around 12k per annum and the trips are normally very short between 1-7 miles every day and 40 mile round trip twice a week. We were unsure weather to get a diesel but from whats said on the net, a petrol would be more suited to us? do you agree. Would'nt mind something with a little power.

We have a budget (sorry guys) between 2-4k. Is there a particularly favourite engine within the verso line up? and how about specs, how do the trim levels work. What problems should i look out for? Any advice is apprecaited, thanks in advance and excuse the grammar (I'm trying to get the 9 month off to sleep)

Hello Paul - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Thread moved onto the Verso club to generate more of a response

Have a look at the Honest John review - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/corolla-verso-2004/

The short journeys may cause problems with a diesel as regards the diesel particulate filter if there was a dpf fitted

I think the diesel would be okay, the 40-mile journeys would give the car a chance to burn off any soot builtup in the DPF.

With that sort of price range, I think you'd be looking at the original model Corolla Verso with either a 1.8VVTi or cam-belt 2.0D4D. IIRC the 1.8VVTi has an issue with burning excessive oil so that'd be something you'd have to check, but the 2.0D4D is pretty bullet proof.

My dad has one of those; To me it does feel a bit sluggish, which I'm still trying to get to the bottom of (Esp. as my brother had a 2.0 D4D Corolla and that thing hauled like a train!), but maybe I'm just too used to my much lighter Yaris! :lol:

The later models had a newer chain-cam D4D engine but they had a serious design flaw so you have to be careful with those ones; I think it's 2006 onwards or something? For those, you have to make sure the engine was replaced with the revised unit otherwise there's a good chance it will develop a problem.

I think post-2009 they fixed it so the later models should be okay, but I doubt you'd be able to get one of those for 2-4k :(

The older belt-cam ones didn't have such problems, although there's the hassle of getting the cam belt changed every 60k (My dad's one didn't have any evidence that it'd been changed so it was one of the first things we did to it, as well as a new water pump!)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 1.8 petrol would be a better bet for your usage and budget, For £3k you can get a 2006/07 model sub 100k mile T3 which is actually very highly specced. (cruise, climate, rain sensing wipers, chromatic mirror, all ectric windows etc) Honest John review with recalls and good+bad here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/corolla-verso-2004/?section=good

The 1.8 did suffer from high oil consumption but this was resolved from July 2005 I think (we have not had this problem).

I have a 2007 1.8 VVTi with 105,000 miles (80k covered in 4 years we have had it). Modest sized practical car with plenty of space and robustly built. Ride is notoriously harsh (best with full load) and a shock absorber went last year but nothing else has gone wrong, starts first time. Probably has averaged 35-40 mpg with much of the 80k miles doing short town runs so not too bad really.

Not very fast but for family transport it is fine. Chain-cam engine seems bullet proof. Reversing view is not great and turning circle is larger than some cars. Overall though I would suggest for an older MPV the Verso would be my choice over a Pug or Citroen or indeed a VW of the same age and mileage.

Good luck

Hi I have had a Corolla Verso for about 1 year 2004 1.8vvti petrol. It is one of the BEST cars I have ever driven, even compared to my 2011 Toyota Auris. It is an absolute joy to drive and very reliable. Mine covered 145k miles and unfortunately it died 1 month ago due to oil consumption issue. This really let the car down and sad that the old owner (1 owner from new) was really lazy and dident fix it for free by Toyota when it was in warranty. Im not being biased or anything but the car is really good and reliable. I have actually ordered new engine even with high mileage because it is very good. It has 10/10 practivality and fuel is not too bad, i average 50 MPG but results of people are 30-40, maybe its just me :P. I would push to go with petrol as diesel have many problems but this oil consumption is a issue. All Verso after 05 or 06 have the fix to it so it will be a safe bet. Good luck with your Verso!!! You can get one for 4k 2005 or 2006.

1.8 engine is pretty powerful, bare in mind the Toyota Celica has same 1.8 VVTI IZZFE engine (toyota sports car) just without turbo. Also I have the T3 spec model as it includes good decent spec, I advise staying away from TR spec as you will be bored to death as I have learnt the hard way on my Auris.

I agree with everything above

if VVTI anything after july 2005 should be good if any earlier make sure its had a modified short motor fitted.

in the diesel the 1cd-ftv is a safe bet.

You get 50mpg on the 1.8VVTi?! :eek:

That's !Removed! good! We don't do much better than that in the 2.0D4D!!!

You get 50mpg on the 1.8VVTi?! :eek:

That's !Removed! good! We don't do much better than that in the 2.0D4D!!!

Yup, its one heck of a car :D

We have had our Verso T-Spirit 1.8 Petrol since 2006, and is currently at 105k miles. Very reliable, very practical and not expensive to run. Ours came after two very unreliable Renault Scenics. The only major issue we have ever had was clutch replacement at ~90k miles. Fuel consumption runs at about 36-38mpg, no oil issues seen.

I now run a Celica of the same age, and Verso belongs to the wife. Size inside is good - it can fit my sons Disco equipment in, including 4 off 15-inch Speakers, and has regularly been used on holidays with 5 adults /teenagers, including top box to e.g. Scotland, France, ireland etc..

Avoid a basic T2 and 1.6 - go for a T3 or above, as it has the cruise control, climate aircon, rain sensing wipers, chromatic mirror, all electric windows etc. Don't touch the MMT transmission - if they fail they're in the garage for a week. Handling and performance of the 1.8 Petrol is'nt bad at all for a biggish people carrier, and I've run the Celica for 2 1/2 years. When we replace our Verso it will be for another one

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links