Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Additives

tarquin

Hi all

I bought some Redex fuel system cleaner and put it in the tank over 4 full tanks of fuel. I have to say the results are outstanding!!! The car feels like it has twice the power and at idle is very smooth no obvious 3cyl vibration. Cant believe the difference

David

• Like 2

Great to hear that, as I use Redex on the occasions I haven't filled up with Shell V-Power Nitro+.

What type of petrol did you fill up with after adding Redex?

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

• Like 1

Good to know that Redex and regular fuel made a huge improvement.

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

Interesting, I've used a similar product under the brand called "Carlube" and I too have felt a huge difference in performance. The car now feels more enthusiastic and revvy, more torque in the low rev range.

However, my car is a 59 plate IQ3 with 60,000 miles so I must've lost a few ponies over the years.

Just looked at Halfords and there seems to be quite an array of Redex products.

Which one do you go for, Petrol Treatment, Petrol injector cleaner, Fuel system cleaner, Advanced fuel system cleaner.....???

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=redex&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

Craig.

Just looked at Halfords and there seems to be quite an array of Redex products.

Which one do you go for, Petrol Treatment, Petrol injector cleaner, Fuel system cleaner, Advanced fuel system cleaner.....???

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=redex&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

Craig.

The one to go for is the Redex Petrol Injector Cleaner

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/redex-petrol-injector-cleaner-500ml

Also, check out this video.

If you can't pop into Halfords, I'm pretty sure I've seen them for sale in Asda too.. also bear in mind since you have an IQ3, you have a 32L tank, so you will need to adjust how much you put in.

I have heard good reports on Terraclean (http://www.weldbankgarage.co.uk/decarbonising.html). A bloke at work had his car done, I bit dearer than Redex, but might be better for higher milage cars or ones that do short journeys on cheap petrol (they might have more of a carbon build up problem?)

My guess is the iQ 3cyl 1.0 is more prone to build up. There are a few people on here mentioning the engine is either vibrating or lumpy and attributing it to being a 3cyl. Mine is now sweet as a nut. I used to easily see the passenger seat vibrating when un occupied. Now there isn't any movement at all. The car simply fly's

David

• Like 1

I was passing a Halfords this morning so dropped in to get some. I got a 500ml bottle of Redex Fuel system cleaner, Petrol injector. Seemed to be the one to go for on the shelf. They did a 1 litre bottle but it was 3 times the price, didn't quite compute somehow.

I'll give it a go over the next 5 or 6 tank-fulls and report back.

Craig.

• Like 1

I was passing a Halfords this morning so dropped in to get some. I got a 500ml bottle of Redex Fuel system cleaner, Petrol injector. Seemed to be the one to go for on the shelf. They did a 1 litre bottle but it was 3 times the price, didn't quite compute somehow.

I'll give it a go over the next 5 or 6 tank-fulls and report back.

Craig.

The 500ml bottle is the one to go for because it's the only Redex on offer at Halfords at the moment, hence the awkward 1L bottle pricing. 500ml is probably good for several full tanks, although I think you only need run 2 or 3 full tanks to feel the benefit of it.

I have heard good reports on Terraclean (http://www.weldbankgarage.co.uk/decarbonising.html). A bloke at work had his car done, I bit dearer than Redex, but might be better for higher milage cars or ones that do short journeys on cheap petrol (they might have more of a carbon build up problem?)

Soeley, I am intrigued, thanks for the link.

Filled up last night on the way home from work so put another dose of the good stuff in the car. :)

The bottle said it does 4 tanks at 50 litres per tank but I normally fill up quite early so normally only get 20-25 litres in on a fill so I've decided to go for an 8th of the bottle at a time and spread it out a bit.

I saw the Terraclean when it was on the Wheelerdealers show and it did look good. Wasn't sure on the price though as Redex is pretty cheap stuff and I assume it does a similar job?

Craig

Filled up last night on the way home from work so put another dose of the good stuff in the car. :)

The bottle said it does 4 tanks at 50 litres per tank but I normally fill up quite early so normally only get 20-25 litres in on a fill so I've decided to go for an 8th of the bottle at a time and spread it out a bit.

That's exactly what I am doing! An 80 mile trip on the A38 last night was probably helpful too, blow some of the acumulated crap out after too many town miles.

After reading this thread I decided to follow you's and visited Halford's today, purchasing the 'on-offer' Redex. I used to use this stuff back in the 1970's on my first car, a 1.3 Capri. In them days, as many will recall, we had carburettors, and pouring some Redex into the top of it whilst 'twitching' the throttle produced clouds of white smoke and a not too disgusting smell from the exhaust. It was great for clearing out the crap and the engine ran well (and it annoyed the hell out of our R-sole neighbours).

Of course, for the diminutive iQ -as stated already on here- not as much Redex is required in such a small tank. So I will be following Craig's example and using about an eighth each time. I put the first part in today after filling up at Sainsbury's for £1.039 a litre. The benefits clearly seem to be worth the minor expense of the Redex and we have both noted that recently our car appears to be vibrating an awful lot more than it has before. I am sure this will help reduce vibrations.

More later.

Well guys. Glad you have had success. I have just bought a IQ3 with 48k on the clock. Collected it 85mls from home and was dissapointed with the indicated 51.5mpg. so when I refilled at 301mls (Flashing empty) I put in 6th a can of redex injector cleaner + Shell super. (only £29 to refill) After 200 very carefull miles, and pumping the tyres from 20psi all round (yes it drove like a pig) its up to 52.0 mpg (thats coasting as much as poss. My old car (Yaris Tsport) was doing 47.7mpg and went everywhere in top gear and flew up hills, so Im somewhat dissapointed. Also the yaris had a brill computer display that gave you the range (perfect when you were down to the last few miles) You could also have mpg and trip showing at same time without fiddling with the pathetic display knob and you could press a button when the lights were on so you could still read the display. Is this progress or am I missing something. Dont get me wrong. Im loving my IQ just dissapointed with some aspects (and the small dent it sustained the first day I had it in a spacious car park. Grrrr. Cheers Colin (Old git)

• Like 1

Halfords has gone bankrupt in Holland.... all shops are gone and closed... :-(

Halfords Netherlands is a separate company to Halfords Group plc (the UK company). Originally Halfords in the Netherlands and Belgium were formed by the United Kingdom company, but were then sold off. The only thing in common the two companies have are these historical ties.

• 11 months later...

Popped into our local Asda today - they have value packs of Redex petrol system cleaner for £7.00, Three 250ml bottles.

Hi David (Tarquin), you brought back memories to me of only a few years ago, haha, when i was 17 and my first car was a Ford Popular 100E (Sorry folks i know this is a Toyota forum) but my communication is about Redex. If anything it was more used then and even petrol stations used to have a Redex hand pump, a bit like a small oil can and if you filled up with petrol you'd add a few pumps of Redex in the tank as an ongoing thing. Well going back to the 100E, side valve, anyway one evening i removed the plugs and poured a quarter of a cup full down each bore and the rest of the bottle went into the last gallon of fuel in the tank. Left it to 'soak in' overnight, to soak into the carbon deposits on the piston crown, next day I started it up, well the smoke coming out of the exhaust was extreme to put it politely, I am sure people were looking out of their windows to see where the 'fire' was. Moving on once the smoke had cleared I drove to the local petrol station and filled up and of course I had to give it a road test. Well just like David said at the start of this thread it was like a new car, the engine revved up more easily and it just wanted to be driven, it was like someone had taken out the old side valve approx. 1100cc engine and bolted in a 2000cc overnight, it transformed the car. I think because the tolerances were bigger on older cars more carbon deposits would develop above the piston and being a side valve on the inverted valve faces as well, again just to finish, I did this treatment on a regular basis, made it faster, it revved up more freely and was a lot faster and more economical.

Mike.

• Like 1

Hi Mike

The big reason for using it on the iQ is that there is a small hole in the inlet manifold and it gets clogged up frequently. Originally on the 59 and below plate there is an issue with the EGR valve being designed the wrong way round and lots of sooting up of the inlet manifold. Toyota charge some £900 to replace it. But in my experience ( as mine was done under warranty) it still clogs up over time. Using Redex brings it back to (as new) within one fuel tank of fuel. All the hesitancy gone. You can really feel the difference and with( Frosty's find ) great news. There was a deal about 6 months ago at Halfords for 2 bottles for £8 but not sure thats. still around.

David