Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Additives

tarquin

I'm just running a bottle through my car too but as it's the 1.33 version I notice a change but not a huge change.

I did the last bottle over 8 tanks about 6 month ago so I'll stick to that regime I think and see how it goes in the future. Really need to do an oil and filter change this month too, Need the weather to either dry up or warm up!

Craig.

Hi Craig

I think the blocking/clogging up is with ref to the 3 cyl version

David

Indeed. I haven't heard of any EGR problems on the 4 cylinder versions.

I still use it though as it does seem to make a difference, just a small one. :)

Craig.

Hi David (Tarquin), you brought back memories to me of only a few years ago, haha, when i was 17 and my first car was a Ford Popular 100E (Sorry folks i know this is a Toyota forum) but my communication is about Redex. If anything it was more used then and even petrol stations used to have a Redex hand pump, a bit like a small oil can and if you filled up with petrol you'd add a few pumps of Redex in the tank as an ongoing thing. Well going back to the 100E, side valve, anyway one evening i removed the plugs and poured a quarter of a cup full down each bore and the rest of the bottle went into the last gallon of fuel in the tank. Left it to 'soak in' overnight, to soak into the carbon deposits on the piston crown, next day I started it up, well the smoke coming out of the exhaust was extreme to put it politely, I am sure people were looking out of their windows to see where the 'fire' was. Moving on once the smoke had cleared I drove to the local petrol station and filled up and of course I had to give it a road test. Well just like David said at the start of this thread it was like a new car, the engine revved up more easily and it just wanted to be driven, it was like someone had taken out the old side valve approx. 1100cc engine and bolted in a 2000cc overnight, it transformed the car. I think because the tolerances were bigger on older cars more carbon deposits would develop above the piston and being a side valve on the inverted valve faces as well, again just to finish, I did this treatment on a regular basis, made it faster, it revved up more freely and was a lot faster and more economical.

Mike.

Hi Mike, Ford motors of old.... I had a J Reg Capri Mk1, a 1.3 in 1979, and I used to use Redex too. My Dad put me onto it, he used to be a mechanic/driver in the RAF in the 60's and swore by the stuff for clearing out the crap. The first time I used it, it was like the fog in old London town. I was half expecting the Phantom Raspberry Blower to pay a visit. I continued to use it on all my old cars from a Viva to an Austin Princess and even my 2.6 Rover SDI. At least now there does not seem to be that distinctive smell, or the pall of white smoke.

:driving:

Some branches of Asda now have the value packs of Redex (3 x 250ml bottles) for £3.50 .......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links