Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Rear De-Mist Elements & Boot Questions!

republic_j

Hi guys

During this colder weather I've noticed that two of the elements on my rear window aren't working (it's the two which are one down from the top (?) if that makes sense!) can anybody confirm if they are in need of attention or whether this is some obscure design thing?

Also, when opening my boot, the door never goes up all the way. I always need to push it up another 5-10cm or so, is this how it's supposed to be or something that can be fixed?

Car is still under warranty.

Thanks

Happy new years!

Wren

Hi my guess with the door needs lubricating as mine has started to do the same

Regarding the element wires. Can you look closely at them to see if they have broken. They are one resistance divided into parrallel wires if 2 have "burnt out" then the resistance would have increased making the remaining less efficient.

David

Hello Wren - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Sounds like the element of the heated rear window has been damaged. As with most cars the heated rear window element is on the interior surface of the glass and can be damaged if something scratches against the interior surface of the glass. Have a careful look at the element to see whether there are any breaks in the element around the area where the window isn't demisting. You can get repair kits from places like Halfords or Amazon - these have mixed reviews, but may be worth trying.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/auto-electrical-supplies/granville-rear-heater-repair

• 5 weeks later...

Hiya

Thanks for your replies.

I've had a look at the elements and nothing seems obviously broken or damaged - she's due her MOT and service in Feb, so I'll ask the guys at Toyota to kindly take a look at it for me and let you know if I'm just blind, or whether something else has gone kaputt.

Thanks again

Wren

With regards to the hatch not fully opening my 59 reg IQ3 is exactly the same. I do not think it was like it when it was new. If it is under warranty I would just point it out to the garage. Now I have read this I am going to do exactly that myself (I have kept up an extended warranty). I have to duck my head a little unnaturally low when putting things in the back at the moment because of this fault.

As regards the tailgate not fully opening, it is probably one or both of the tailgate struts which has failed/is failing. Just had the tailgate struts replaced on my Auris for the same issue.

I have just had my IQ3 hatch which does not fully open on its own without a bit of an extra push checked by the garage. They confirm it needs new struts which should be covered by the extended warranty I have.

Good result, but surely the struts should last longer than that?

They are probably just cold.

My Range Rover used to be the same, Cold weather made the oil a bit thicker in the struts I guess and assistance was needed to reach maximum height but in the summer they worked just fine.

Never bothered me really, I always open the boot by holding onto it until fully extended so never noticed if my iQ suffers the same issue.

Craig.

• Like 1

In the case of the tailgate struts on my Auris, they began to play up in August - so it definitely wasn't just the cold that was affecting them. The free Winter health check my dealer offered me last week was a convenient time for me to have them checked, and subsequently replaced under warranty.

With regards to the hatch not fully opening my 59 reg IQ3 is exactly the same. I do not think it was like it when it was new. If it is under warranty I would just point it out to the garage. Now I have read this I am going to do exactly that myself (I have kept up an extended warranty). I have to duck my head a little unnaturally low when putting things in the back at the moment because of this fault.

It´s the same with my car...and the same with the horn (sometimes work sometimes don't...).

Good result, but surely the struts should last longer than that?

Had to have the tailgate struts replaced back in 2009 on my 2006 Corolla - but that was due to water ingress into the struts.