Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Leak On Back Of Block

colgid85

Hi all, my Corolla TS is leaking some oil.

There is a fair amount coming out from the drivers (rhs) of the block by the belt.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so, what was it or what could it be?

I'm still getting to know the car, as i have only had it a couple of months. Any help would be awesome.

Could be a few things, but the usual problem is the gasket / seal of the rocker / valve cover.

Might just need a gentle tightening of the retains nuts or a new gasket and sealer.

Don't know what else could leak oil around that rear area.

Any leak from the oil pump and chain area whould also leak out the bottom.

Are you sure you got the rocker gasket on properly.

If it not that, then perhaps its the cylinder head gasket leaking from an oil way, though think thats a very rare thing.

Suggest you use a degreaser on the leaking oil then run and observe the cleaned area to see where its leaking from.

post-95973-0-96776700-1420406953_thumb.j

• 5 weeks later...

Did you find wear the oil was coming from having the exact same prob with mine and looks like its coming from the same place that you put up wiped all the oil away and left it overnight no oil on ground drove it into work the next day and came out to oil on the ground so its only leaking when running

Yeah, there's a bolt (10mm) at the top of the block around the back. It wasn't the rocker cover, but on the l/h/s, it's horizontal. It was just a loose bolt...luckily!

I can load a pic/vid of it tomorrow, of i 3xplained a bit long winded lol

Just a stab in the dark here but did you screw the bolts down tight as they should only be lightly bolted down so as not to crush the gasket

Del

just noticed your reply sorry

Yeah, was just that horizontal bolt at the back of the block. The rocker cover isn't leaking

Cheers for that ill have a look after work tomorrow hopefully its the same thing I serviced it with 5w30 oil and then it started so initially I thought it was a prob with crush washer as I forgot to get one and didnt realise till I had oil out so couldnt get a new one so thought it was that until I had a look and its bone dry but the last owner had used 10w40 and I switched to recommended so was thinking it could be related but if the bolt is loose a lighter oil could push through

I only thought it was strange because i changed the rocker gasket, and noticed there was only oil on the drivers side of the block. All the best on finding the problem, and i hope it is only that, otherwise i'll look silly haha

Had a look this eve but cant find bolt you described but there is oil on the back of block at left hand side and down left side of engine

Sorry for the slack reply, but this is the bolt, (but stupidly the image is upside down) haha i hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update found the bolt and its very tight its still leaking but not much thinking now could be the rocker gasket so gonna try changing that is their much involved in changing it havent done one myself before but I do most work on the cars myself that I can

It's straight forward to do. I will suggest that you give the rocker cover a good old clean before putting it back on. While you're there it may be worth changing the lift bolts if you haven't done that already...2 birds 1 stone and all that