Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Clutch/flywheel Replacement Problem Rav4

aclegg54

Hello I was wondering if someone may be able to help.

I have a just had a new clutch and flywheel installed by a main Toyota dealer on my 2007 RAV4 D4D. I have owned the car from new and followed the letter on servicing. However since the work was completed I have had no end of problems starting the car.

The problems started when I went to pick the car up from the main dealer when it wouldn't start on the forecourt. The engine turned over but it wouldn't start so I had to wait several days to get it back. The garage blamed the non start on an engine management fault code which was caused by the removal of the suspension.
Two days later the car was delivered back to me by the mechanic. The very next day it struggled to start until two days later we just couldn't start it.
Off to the garage again and this time they told me that they couldn't find any fault through the computer and the Battery was OK however they replaced the fuel filter as the first step in their diagnosis. The car started at the garage and a few days later it struggled again until eventually the Battery went flat. Off to the garage again and this time they blamed it on the Battery which was previously diagnosed as being OK.

To date the clutch/flywheel replacement has cost me £1800 plus £120 for a new fuel filter and £100 for the new battery and its still struggling and gradually getting worse. The garage cannot understand why we are having these problems and are now saying its nothing to do with the work that they have carried out and the car is just rubbish but they can't give me any reason.

We have never had a problem starting the car before so I am concerned that they have introduced a fault between the flywheel and the starter motor which is making it more difficult to turn the engine. When we initially start the car in the morning the first gear changes are a little more difficult than before but this eases after driving the car for about 10 minutes.

I am not a mechanic so I would appreciate any advice as I feel that someone is playing with my wallet.

Thanks

Andy

My first thought is this does not sound like a garage that is even near the top of it's game!! To say that the car is rubbish is nonsense, even if the fault is not of their making you put it in for investigation.

Just a thought I wonder if an earth lead has been removed and not replaced properly as this can affect the starter as it draws a lot of current so needs good clean and tight connections. Might be worth seeing if you can move the Battery connections .

You complain about the starting,could you be more specific and say if the engine is turning over as fast as before when trying to start it as this will narrow the possibilities down for the more learned members who may have a better answer.

Del

When you say that you have followed the letter on servicing, has this been done at Mr T or elsewhere? If the former then you are in a strong position and I'd be asking to see the service manager . Ask the person who said the car was rubbish to put it in writing and explain why.

If the servicing has been done elsewhere you still brought a car in that started -now it doesn't despite the cost of the fuel filter and Battery. Have you kept the used items? If so get the Battery tested elsewhere and ask a reputable garage what they think of the fuel filter.

I can't see why removing and refitting the suspension would give rise to an engine fault -ask them to explain how this is theoretically possible.

Keep calm and take a note pad. Write down and ask them to initial anything that they say that doesn't seem right.

Let us know how you get on.

Del

Appreciate your response. To be honest I can't really tell if its turning over slower than it was before.

Thanks

Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links