Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Found This The Oil Filler Cap

simpip122

does this mean the head gaskit is on it way out. clean it out and went for drive and its starting to build up again.but the water does seem to going down.post-143429-0-40246700-1420990998_thumb.

If the car is used for short runs, it could be the result of condensation building up due to the engine not reaching operating temperature, and then cooling. Try cleaning it out, then take the car for a good run and ensure the engine is at operating temperature for a while.

Yes as Frosty says. The IQ can be prone to this mayonnaise like stuff on cars that do lots of short journeys. It IS common on this car BUT it could also be a blown cylinder head gasket. What's the condition of your coolant? If it has oil or mayonnaise in it then you need to get it checked asap and prepare for a large bill. Also, keep a close eye on the coolant level. If it is regularly dropping like you have suggested then again, get the car checked. It might just be a simple leak too.

yes through the week the trip to work only takes 10mins had to even put some cardboard in front the radiator to help it get warm in this weather.

the level seems fine, and a cherry red so hope its the short journeys causing this

the level seems fine, and a cherry red so hope its the short journeys causing this

The level is slightly worrying because unless the car is at idle for about 40 mins per day for 3 weeks that would not happen. When I buy a car, it will sit in my driveway for 3 weeks. I dont drive the cars, I just keep them at idle for 20 mins per day to make sure everythings good. When I do this, after 3-4 days I look and see that white stuff but only the slightest and it worries me ALOT. But what I have seen on your car is the worst ever, even pictures on the internet are not that bad. Either your gaskets on its way out, your driving 1 mile or less per day or you have a crack somewhere. I think you have a crack somewhere, probably a hairline crack, very small. This will be somewhere down the lines of the oil dipstick, oil filler or one of the pipes which have oil inside it. This will be causing it not to be airtight and a vacuum which will get moisture from the air into it. I recommend you check for any sorts of small cracks on all the pipes. I really doubt you have a blown head gasket, assuming you have less that 75k miles and the coolant is good.

You also mentioned it is taking drinking water? Is this correct, if so how much for 100 miles?

no it doesnt seem to using water. its got 75000 on clock. think I better go out earlier through week and let it tick out for 10mins get it warmed up.

The IQ is prone to this and this issue reported many times. If the car isn't losing water and the coolant is not contaminated then you should be fine. Just keep an extra eye on it all.

You can clean the gunk off the filler cap and dipstick but it's a waste of time as it'll be all over the inside of your engine, especially the cover. You could take it for a long run in the hope the heat gets rid of it, ignore it all or take it to the dealers and get them to flush it all out and refill with 0w20 fully synthetic.

• 3 months later...

Are you using the correct coolant? Or just topping up with water or another fluid? I had the same on my mk 1 mr2. When using just water the cylinder head goes and water by passes the gasket and in to the oil chamber / pistons, the cause the oil and water to mix and gives off the same as your photo. Solution was the get a new cylinder head and gasket.

Back in January our IQ had this gunk on the filler cap and neck and was a little worrysome. It's prone to it during cold, damp weather when used for short runs.

Checked the car today and the filler cap is fine and clear, the oil on the dipstick looks fine, the levels are all ok. All back to normal.

Always prudent to keep an eye on such issues though to make sure fluids are not being lost.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links