Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 99 Shaking And Low Power

Dubliner

Hi All,

I have a Yaris 99 and it suddenly started to shake when Idle or at stop. It also started to have very low power at low revs.

What do you think the problem might be? Actually just before this problem I hit the front bumper to the pavement but there is no visible signs of problem (e.g. oil leak etc.) at the engine.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hi Dubliner,

Do you remember what this issue was? My boy's Yaris started to show the same symptoms yesterday with the EML come on. Was it a simple problem to fix?

R

Hi,

I think this is likely to be an ignition coil failure. If it is, your problem is identifying which one of the four it is without a OBDII code reader.

You can buy an ELM 327 adaptor (google it, perhaps buy via Amazon or eBay - about £10), in conjunction with a smartphone and a relevant app, Carista for example, then you have a code reader to view the eml code  and/or clear it.

They ignition coil can be swapped between cylinders to establish if fault moves with coil, proving blame. Removal is one 10mm bolt and a stiff electrical connector (patience needed), after you have removed the plastic engine cover.

Coils cost between about £12 (eBay from China or secondhand) to £160 (Toyota dealer), expect £40 to £60 from a motor factor.

Whilst you are driving with a defective coil there is a likelihood that the catalyst may suffer overheat damage. So best not to!

Could be something else of course....

HTH.