Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cambelt Change Schedule

jaguarsimon

Hello all,

I have a 1994 Corolla. I bought it in March 2011 with 140,000 ish miles and it now has 178,000 miles. I had a new cam belt fitted when I bought it.

What is the recommended change interval time/mileage as it's not in the handbook?

I know it's not critical as I believe if it breaks the engine isn't destroyed.

When it was changed last time the old one was like new!

Cheers,

Simon

Have you had a look at the service schedule in the service & warranty book - it probably says in there.

Don't know what cc engine you have in there. petrol or diesel ?

Very generally about 60k or 3-5 years is the typical renewal point, sometimes needing tensioners /pulleys replacing as well, often sold as complete camblet kits.

Suggest using only Toyota parts for such critical parts.

I know it's not critical as I believe if it breaks the engine isn't destroyed.

That a new one on me ... any detail of how a broken cambelt is not going to break the valves / pistons etc on your engine ?

Edit - or are you really talking about the Auxillary / Fan belt ? - that drives the pumps and alternator etc ?

Don't know about this engine but a cam belt can snap and not wreck the engine

Those are known as non interference engines as they are designed so that the valves and pistons cannot meet in normal circumstances

Del

Right, interesting, but have Toyota ever used them in any quantity ? - not seen or heard of them on Corollas or Avensis I've had.

Never heard of any other makers pushing it as what seems a good sales / service point.

Is it a practical solution for our modern engines ?

Think the 1.3 petrol engines used in the Corolla in the 90's were interference, whereas the 1.6 were non interference.

From what i heard it was the efi corollas 1.3 petrol, but would never chance it myself.

I had one of these 93 corollas, great car, except for the worn valve guides towards the end of its life, at 405000 miles :laughing:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links