Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello & Fault Code Glow Plug

willowbob

Hi, as you can see I am a new member; not because I am anti social or anything, it is just that I am on my second Yaris and this is the only thing that has ever flagged up...really!

I own, as a second car, a lovely 2005 Yaris 1.4 D4D, with around 85k on it. Cracking little car, had a 1 litre VVT petrol before this (until someone went into the back of it!).

Anyway, I digress; my issue is that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp came on 2 days ago. I have got hold of a diagnostic tool which threw up the following;

P0380 Glowplug / Heater Circuit A

The car is running fine (it was very cold on Sunday when the fault originally flagged?), so I have cleared the fault and it hasn't come back.....yet. Is this a common problem with this model? Is it something that needs attention do you think. If so, what sort of a job/expense is it please?

Thanks.

Catlover, you are a star, thanks. Are there any guides/instructions anywhere on how to change glowplugs on my Yaris if I decide to go down that route as the Haynes manual, helpfully, excludes the Diesel!

Hey,

I've had this issue before with my Corolla and I actually ended up purchasing some new glow plugs. I did try disconnecting Battery, then reconnecting it but the light on the dashboard kept coming back after every few miles, so in the end I just bought some new glow plugs and got them fitted in. Since then the light had never come back up - touch wood.

Also, I'm not sure if its a common issue but I did own a Yaris 1.4 D4D 2004 plate, ive got to say it was a terrific little car, cheap road tax £30, cheap on insurance and fuel economy was excellent (was gutted when a local idiot smashed into the front of it & writ it off)

Anyways, let us know how you get on.

All the best.

• Like 1

A glow plug is used in diesel engines to help cold starting, once the engine is running no need for glow plugs. Diesel engines do not have spark plugs cause diesel fuel does not ignite like petrol does, diesel works by compression heating the diesel fuel. In cold weather glow plugs aids to the heating of the diesel fuel under compression. Hence, when you turn the ignition switch in a diesel engined car in cold weather you wait for the "glow light" to turn off before you turn the ignition key further to turn the engine over. Energy is used in heating glow plugs, and together with the fact diesel engined cars have a much higher compression ratio then petrol engined, means the Battery has to be "heavy duty" to be able to take the strain. Certainly with diesels, having a Battery that is past its best when approaching winter is going to cause problems sooner then later.

A set of 4 glow plugs could cost around £60 and can be relatively easy to fit - so long as access to them is easy and they unscrew without any complications.

If you never seen a glow plug before go on eBay and search Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel glow plug.

• Like 1

Catlover, thanks. The car is running fine despite the fault code being erased then coming back again. Is it likely to fail/breakdown, or slowly get harder to start etc., or is that the million dollar question? I have heard of such faults flagging, staying there for ages and not causing any real issues? Or do glow plugs have a 'shelf life' and would routinely need to be replaced at this sort of mileage (circa 85K). Thanks.

PS are there any phgotos/videos (showing my age!) of how to change these on a Yaris? Thanks.

Catlover, thanks. The car is running fine despite the fault code being erased then coming back again. Is it likely to fail/breakdown, or slowly get harder to start etc., or is that the million dollar question? I have heard of such faults flagging, staying there for ages and not causing any real issues? Or do glow plugs have a 'shelf life' and would routinely need to be replaced at this sort of mileage (circa 85K). Thanks.

PS are there any phgotos/videos (showing my age!) of how to change these on a Yaris? Thanks.

On my Corolla, I had no issues starting the car and this was in the winter may I add. Looking back, I think I was very naive because if it happened to me again then I wouldnt change the glow plugs until I was actually experiencing any difficulty in starting my car up.

However, I remember the mechanic saying that the old ones were knackered. Not sure if he meant one or two or all of them but I ended up replacing all of them. I cant remember how much it cost all together but I think it was between £60-£80. I could change them myself now but I didnt know much about cars back then so I think I paid a bit more.

:euro:

• Like 1

Neil

If you go on You Tube and search for Changing Glow Plugs on Toyota Yaris Diesel

You may not get changing glow plugs in a Yaris but you get a lot of video clips of changing glow plugs - its basically the same in each engine, access will be different.

• Like 1

Thanks all; I will have a look through You Tube and have a mull over whether I change these at the moment or not.

If you don't change the faulty glowplug and it gets colder, it will become very difficult to start.

No need to replace all 4.. You can remove one and test it. If OK, just return it.

Much cheaper.

How to test..?

Live wire from Battery to wired end of plug. Touch body of glowplug to Battery earth. If plug heats up, it's ok. If not, then it's dead.

Note: You must wear welding gloves or similar or hold plug in a pair of clamps. A hot plug is VERY hot.

And you must take great care when using a live wire from Battery to ensure it does not earth on engine or bodywork or you can set it alight..or melt metal.

(Sorry if teaching grandmother to suck eggs.)

EDIT did this before on wife's Peugeot 106 diesel very successfully.

Her Yaris d4d still has original 12 year old plugs..

If the car starts fine on the coldest of mornings then I would probably leave it. It may just be one glow plug thats down a bit. Obviously they not going to get better, and I suppose the day will come when it gets a bit harder to start or maybe a lot harder.

Of course, in summertime when the nights can be warm the glow plugs may not be needed to the extent in the winter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links