Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 T4 2.0 D4D

RichT180

The time has come for me to say goodbye to my Avensis T180, I've seen a T4 on a 60 plate at my local dealers and thought i'd ask here for peoples opinions on this model. Less power, but the cars seems to have all the gadgets and very low mileage. Are tuning kits any good, I've read that you can increase the power to 160 bhp, but would also like some advice on the best companies for these products, Thanks

Things to be aware of when you are looking if you are not already.

Toyota UK introduced a 5 year/100k miles (transferable) manufacturer' warranty in June 2010 - before that 3 year/60k.

The facelifted/improved Avensis T27 came out in late December 2011/January 2012 - this included significant improvement to the 2.0 diesel (claimed 17% improvement in economy & emissions down 14%). Mind you it gained a DPF.

There was also a change to the epb behaviour/placement.

Tbh the only thing that I would miss from my TSpirit compared to a TR is the electrically retracting wing mirrors (I'm not a big fan of leather seats & pretty much everything else is a frippery imo) & iirc the T4 doesn't have those.

As for tuning boxes the preferred ones seem to be Lindop's (PM PartsKing) & Tunit but other brands are available :P.

• Like 1

Thanks, test drove it today, deposit paid. Will buy a chip box, it is a bit plastic inside though, suppose ill just get used to that. Oh well in 5 years ill get the new model on a 3 year old plate, mate works at Burnaston and says that they have finally cracked it lol

supposedly there is another facelift version due out this Autumn with the BMW diesels - market for traditional D-segment mass market cars is now too small for an all new design to be cost-effective & profitable.

Yes, but there are a lot of new cars in this segment and most of them are better than the Avensys at it's current state. So they better made something new or they are going down in this segment. I mean engines, horsepower, hybrid, even 4x4 (for which there should be a new model).

Good luck RichT180 with the new Avensis. Those boxes can be quite good. Be pleased with it and happy and many miles with it.

the rumour is that they will bring out a crossover (Qashqai aike). There actually aren't a lot of new cars in this segment precisely because it is nosediving (down something like 80%) - being replaced by smaller, prestige cars & crossovers.

New Mondeo - 2015

New Passat - end 2014

New Superb (with hybrid) - 2015

New Optima (with plug in hybrid, current model has a hybrid) - 2015

New Mazda 6 - 2014

facelift of the 508 - 2015

facelift for i40 - 2015

insignia facelift - mid 2013.

How many other rivals has the Avensis?

I'm saying that as my family owns two T25 Avensis 2005 models, and we are on the search of something new, but the current model is not going to be for consideration for us.

Under the RAV.

New Mondeo - actually 3 years old & getting some decidedly lukewarm reviews now that it is launched in Europe.

New VW platform I will give you.

Isn't the 2014 Mazda6 a tweak of the 2013? May be hamstrung in volume terms by being built in Japan (so expensive) & the Mazda 6 diesels have a bad reputation for DPF related problems. I believe that it is also going to go over to an epb (why some people wouldn't buy an Avensis supposedly).

Kia Optima has never been successful in the UK - don't know about rest of Europe.

You can't complain about Toyota facelifting rather than replacing the Avensis by using other facelifts to do so! :P

The probable big sellers in what remains of that class will probably be the Mondeo, Insignia & VW but they aren't really profitable & Toyota in Europe definitely appear to be in the profit rather than nos. game. Honda isn't replacing the Accord here, Nissan pulled out it's direct rival years ago (& very successfully side-stepped with the Qashqai).

I suppose that how you view them depends upon your needs - I've driven most of the others & whilst they may better the Avensis in some areas as a complete package for me the Avensis still works. e.g. the 508 drives/rides better than an Avensis but the rear seats don't fold completely flat & most of them have a whacking transmission tunnel through the middle of the back seats despite the vast majority of those built being fwd only.

Hopefully the new BMW-derived diesels will address the fact that the current Toyota ones are aging but there does also appear to be the start of a backlash against diesel (at least here in the UK). & I'm very wary that using small, turbo petrols instead of large na petrols is going to replicate lots of the reliability issues with modern diesels - Ford's Ecoboost looks to be having issues.

Toyota stated last year that there will be no Avensis hybrid, but that didn't mean they wouldn't offer a hybrid in this market sector - which, presumably is where the crossover comes in.

Think after this year's revamp of the Avensis, it will continue to provide Toyota with a saloon/tourer car in the declining D market sector for a further four years or so. Unlike Nissan when they replaced the Almera and Primera with the Qashqai at a stroke, think Toyota will let the Avensis die on a more gradual basis. Presumably the production capacity lost by the gradual Avensis demise, will be replaced by increasing production of the crossover.

As regards the use of the BMW diesel engines, they provide Toyota with a cheap way of getting a 1.6 diesel and a newer 2.0 litre diesel into the European market place, without incurring the development costs associated with designing and producing their own new diesels.

The new crossover will fit in below the Rav 4 - presumably similar to how the Nissan Juke and Qashqai fit below the X-Trail.

Let's hope it's not the urben cruiser as it was a horrible car. Also this segment offers big and comfortable and stable car with big and easy to use boot. And not forget more silent and economical, with low emissions too. Quashqai does not have any of these qualities. It has some kind of 4x4 and raised driving position and suspension. It had his 15 minutes of glory. Not saying it's a bad car it's just not an Avensis or a Passat. Well it's money on the table so companies do what they think is best for them. For me is this segment, not the small to mid SUV