Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost Of Rear Shoe Replacement

jaguarsimon

Along with other work required to get worthless Corolla through MOT costing £435, garage phoned to say rear shoes are down to metal and need replacing. They said shoes are £18 is but labour is £60 inc Vat,

Does that sound reasonable for what I would think is a half an hour job?

Suspect this isn't a Toyota dealer or maybe it is at £60 for 30 mins work...that's £120 for an hour...wow.

Phone up and just ask what their labour charges are. 30 mins sounds about right for the actual work as long as they adjust the handbrake at the wheel and at the handbrake itself.

If it isn't a Toyota dealer then £60 is way too much.

My questions would be if the brakes are down to the metal how come I have not noticed the grinding noise when i apply the brakes and if they were metal to metal do I not need drums as well

Del

You want to put the year ,fuel ,model in your member box, so we don't have to search back to your previous posts.

Don't know if your 1994 model is drum only on the rear or is it a combined disc / drum for the handbrake.

Not that well up on current garage prices , can be a fiddly job, 2 hours sounds a bit long for a trained mechanic.

One question I would ask, no mention of the state of the drums, if the shoes really are worn down to the metal then are he srum surfaces good ?

If you only have rear drum for braking and the drums are original I would suspect they are probably ready for renewal.

When it comes to brakes, no half measures in my book.

Out of interest what is the other £435 for ?

It can be a pig of a job, the price of the shoes sounds about right.

When i done mine i got the spring kit also.

The drums can be pricey dependant on model.