Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 1.0 T3 Yaris Clutch/gear Issues

Jonathan Bailey

Hi all,

Just purchased a 2006 Yaris for my wife (had done about 59000 miles) about 3 months ago. All been fine for the first few months then one day it was really hard to it into any gears (as I was driving it back). The next morning I rang the AA to come and have a look as I didn't want to damage the car any further. They started it up and it went into all the gears fine. He checked the clutch cylinders and they also looked fine (they hadn't leaked). He suggested it may need a new clutch.

I then went to drive the car later and after about 5 mins it decided to play up again making it very hard to get into 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Although you can still get the car into gear it sometimes takes a few pumps on the clutch and a lot of force.

We booked it into our local garage and they test drove it. Then confirmed it was the clutch. A new clutch and full service later and it still, at times, doesn't like to play with especially 1st and 2nd gear. We have now done about 600 miles in the car just incase it was a bedding in thing.

My observations before they fitted the new clutch. It didn't seem to slip massively but I don't tend to drive it very often so I'm not used to driving it every day, plus we haven't owned it for years. When it first happened I could feel the car pulling while I was trying to put it into first gear. It felt like I was holding it at the biting point even though the clutch was completely depressed.

I will definitely be taking it back to the garage to have a look but I just wanted to see if there are any more people out there who might have had similar issues that could shed some light?

Many thanks!

Jonathan

Have they bled the clutch hydraulics? I am not familiar with the Mark 2 (so take what I say with care),,, but on the Mark 1 the brake and clutch hydraulics share the same master cylinder, but either can be bled separately. If the brakes have been worked on and bled at some time and the clutch not, chances are there is air in the clutch hydraulic system.

It's an easy fix and worth trying before anything else. Five minute job.

"Although you can still get the car into gear it sometimes takes a few pumps on the clutch and a lot of force"

Could be the clue to indicate exactly what MAAF has suggested.

My 2006 T-Spirit does the same thing, when slowing from 20 to 10mph to change down to 1st gear, I find it hard to select 1st.. Might speak with Toyota and find out what they say

I think that's normal; Trying to get in to 1st at anything above 8mph will usually be quite difficult unless you're rev-matching.

My old Fiesta was almost impossible to downshift to 1st if it was moving at all!

Hi all,

Just a quick update.

I took the car back to the garage who fitted the new clutch. They have re-bled the clutch system as recommended above. That was done last Thursday 29/01 so we haven't had a chance to drive the car for a long time but so far it has seemed to be FULLY FIXED!

Very happy now. Driven over a 100 miles and seems all good now.

PS. Regarding going into 1st gear. I have always made sure I am almost fully stopped before going into first gear. I know of some people who force their cars to go into first while doing stupid speeds and I hate to hear the gear box cry. I would usually only try and go into first when I'm going below 5mph.

Thanks all who replied especially MAAF.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Johnathan.

Always great when we get feedback.

(I learned the clutch bleeding problem through experience servicing son's 100k+miles Mark 1 Yaris)