Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealer Parts & Service

Chris Dance

I am trying to convince a neighbour that having his daughters 62 plate Yaris diesel car serviced and for spares at a toyota dealer would be as cheap if not cheaper than a mobile mechanic. Yesterday he went to Halfords for a new Battery for the car; he wanted a 5 year warranty. Halfords said they would fit it but then refused on grounds they could not re program the electrics. He then visited 2 other garages but neither had the correct Battery. Eventually he went back to Halfords purchased the Battery for a cost of £110 approx.and fitted it himself without any problems. I suggested to him that if he had gone to the local Toyota dealer there would have been no hassle and would have avoided the running around. I considered the battery cost may even be cheaper at Toyota dealers. My neighbour is a great guy and we get on well but he is convinced main dealers are a rip off and the best cars are diesel cars. He states that folk cannot afford to have their cars serviced and repaired at the main dealers. From my experience mobile mechanics do not use genuine parts etc and I would not let one near our Prius. I would be interested if members of this forum agree with my neighbour.

Is it bad that he sounds like a lost cause who will do what he wants anyway, I've friends like that and I've given up as its not worth the bother with some people in my opinion.

• Like 1

If the mobile mechanic he uses doesn't use OE quality parts, he's already invalidated his new car warranty. He has also paid over the odds for the Battery compared to a Toyota dealer - from the Toyota website a new Battery for a diesel Yaris is £85 fitted - http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/repairs-and-parts

Be interesting to see how he gets on if he needs a warranty repair !

We run two cars, and the Auris is cheaper to service than our previous and current second cars - a Mazda 2 and a Hyundai i20. For each interim service, the second cars are around 65-70 more expensive and for each full service around £100 more expensive.

Generally he'd be right, but it's not always the case.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised by when I first serviced my car at Toyota - Their service rates are quite reasonable and they give better feedback and documentation of what they've done compared to others I could mention.

I have a travelling mechanic who's very good and I use for other stuff as Toyota hourly rates are much higher (e.g. for a Clutch, Toyota want £700+, franchised garages ~£500, my mech £400), but the servicing stuff and other Fixed Price things are quite reasonable...

The guys sounds like one of those who knows it all - it a nice way. Jonathan summed it up.

Toyota do many common consumables at fixed prices and they're quite competitive with things like brakes being a little high. But servicing and the like is always best at a main dealers as a main dealer stamp in your service book counts when you come to sell.

Also, many dealers will price match or meet somewhere inbetween if you ask them. They're not obliged to do so and they could say no, but you don't get if you don't ask.

I use my dealers for servicing work, maybe brakes (or price match) but tyres are purchased from a tyre fitters are they can usually do them there and then, rather than booking in a week next Tuesday at a main dealers.

Personally, I have never NOT used a main dealer for any new car I have purchased for the very reason already mentioned. Maintaining the warranty. However, there is another reason why using a main dealer may be an advantage and that is, how many none franchised garages do you know where they have had specific manufacturer technical training on the particular marque of car that is your pride and joy? Since every car I have ever owned has always been bought brand new, I wouldn't trust a private garage or mechanic to go anywhere near them for that very reason.

The guys sounds like one of those who knows it all - it a nice way. Jonathan summed it up.

Toyota do many common consumables at fixed prices and they're quite competitive with things like brakes being a little high. But servicing and the like is always best at a main dealers as a main dealer stamp in your service book counts when you come to sell.

Also, many dealers will price match or meet somewhere inbetween if you ask them. They're not obliged to do so and they could say no, but you don't get if you don't ask.

I use my dealers for servicing work, maybe brakes (or price match) but tyres are purchased from a tyre fitters are they can usually do them there and then, rather than booking in a week next Tuesday at a main dealers.

Personally I can't see much wrong with ringing a dealer to check availability of tyres, even if it takes them 'a week next Tuesday' to get and fit them. My dealer price-matched the local fast-fit mob, and I'd much rather my car always be worked on by a Toyota tech. than any old oik.

Apols for going slightly OT, but had to call Toyota Roadside Assistance a few days ago due to a flat 12v Battery. I'd left interior light on for 36 hours (but there were mitigating circumstances - aren't there always?), called TRA just before 8am, AA patrol (a charming young lady) arrived within 30mins and soon had the car sorted, and provided comprehensive info on the state of the Battery. Can't praise TRA and AA enough, brilliant service for £66 p.a. imho.

Can't praise TRA and AA enough, brilliant service for £66 p.a. imho.

All well and good if you've only 1 car in the household and you never drive anything else, but come nowhere near for multi vehicle house holds, or if you need cover while driving other vehicles.

Its a shame they can't cater for the above as would be happy to switch from the RAC if they did.

I am trying to convince a neighbour that having his daughters 62 plate Yaris diesel car serviced and for spares at a toyota dealer would be as cheap if not cheaper than a mobile mechanic. Yesterday he went to Halfords for a new battery for the car; he wanted a 5 year warranty. Halfords said they would fit it but then refused on grounds they could not re program the electrics. He then visited 2 other garages but neither had the correct battery. Eventually he went back to Halfords purchased the battery for a cost of £110 approx.and fitted it himself without any problems. I suggested to him that if he had gone to the local Toyota dealer there would have been no hassle and would have avoided the running around. I considered the battery cost may even be cheaper at Toyota dealers. My neighbour is a great guy and we get on well but he is convinced main dealers are a rip off and the best cars are diesel cars. He states that folk cannot afford to have their cars serviced and repaired at the main dealers. From my experience mobile mechanics do not use genuine parts etc and I would not let one near our Prius. I would be interested if members of this forum agree with my neighbour.

As a warranty administrator I wonder why he went to Halfords for a Battery on a 62 plate car which has 5 years warranty that includes batteries, also I wonder if his mobile mechanic would use the correct 0w30 C2 spec oil vital for the health of the DPF fitted the 62 Yaris.

Can't praise TRA and AA enough, brilliant service for £66 p.a. imho.

All well and good if you've only 1 car in the household and you never drive anything else, but come nowhere near for multi vehicle house holds, or if you need cover while driving other vehicles.

Its a shame they can't cater for the above as would be happy to switch from the RAC if they did.

Other Toyota owners in your household can join Toyota Roadside Assistance for £55 per year.

Our second cars in recent years have been a Hyundai and a couple of Mazdas - which come with their own roadside assistance as part of the warranty (Hyundai 5 years and Mazda 3 years).

I don't know of any manufacturer-based roadside assistance scheme that will cover other makes.

I don't know of any manufacturer-based roadside assistance scheme that will cover other makes.

My point exactly - how many households do you know of that all drive a single brand of vehicle?

Likewise they're all vehicle only cover normally and not driver, it'll work for some, but I don't think many realise just how limiting the cover is for the money paid.

Thanks for all replies: as stated I think my neighbour is a lost cause with regard to using a Toyota dealer for service and parts. If only he had phoned the Toyota dealer he would have found out the Battery was on warranty as Devon Aygo pointed out. I will not tell him as far as I am concerned he just does not want to know.

With regard to the AA roadside service I found them excellent I had a flat tyre on a dark wet night at midight. The AA were in attendance in an hour and got me on the road again.

My point exactly - how many households do you know of that all drive a single brand of vehicle?

My house :lol:

• Like 2

My house :lol:

And mine - well used to be, but down to one now since we've both retired.

Likewise they're all vehicle only cover normally and not driver, it'll work for some, but I don't think many realise just how limiting the cover is for the money paid.

We have in the past - when we've both had Nissans, Toyotas and Mazdas.

With today's modern technology it never ceases to amaze me why people drive around from outlet to outlet trying to find the best deal when all you have to do is make a quick web search or phone call to find the best deals. Perhaps he still has a piece of black Bakelite with a dial on it in the hall and won't pay for a new directory?

• Like 4

He is probably very happy accessing the internet using his Amstrad PC1512, external modem and dial up connection.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links