Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaw Rate Sensor Issue

Nas Khan

Hi all,

I bought a 54 plate avensis almost a month ago, engine 2.4.

The Battery was down when I went to buy it and previous owner jump started it. Previous owner told me that he has not used this car for 2-3months that's why Battery is flat.
Since then Battery is fine, no problem, but from first day two lights the VSC light and TRC OFF light are ON, I missed it when I bought the car, so not sure whether those were ON even before or they came on after the jump start. I went to a mechanic to diagnose the issue using a diagnostic reader, and reader showed the following error:
C0371 Yaw Rate Sensor Output Signal Fault
I am not sure whether it is the jump start which caused some temporary problem or whether something is faulty and require fixing.
I googled around but it is not clear to me whether it is the sensor which is faulty or circuit or does the sensor require unplugging/re-plugging.
I contacted one of the Toyota dealers and they quoted me £122 for the diagnostics, and £288 for the YAW rate sensor. This is excluding labour charges.
Today, I am thinking to disconnect/re-connect -ve terminal of the battery and see if the lights come back or not.
Anyone had similiar problem, in my research I found other people had similiar issue but they also had CEL ON too, in my case it is just two lights I mentioned.
Thanks for reading it, and please reply if you have any advice to offer.

'The yaw-rate sensor determines how far off-axis a car is "tilting" in a turn. This information is then fed into a microcomputer that correlates the data with wheel speed, steering angle and accelerator position, and, if the system senses too much yaw, the appropriate braking force is applied.'

I would of got the diagnostic bloke to reset the code.

Then I would look at replacing the sensor, cheapest would be to replace with a used one.

the full part number is 89183-05020

in the picture its 89183a

post-125194-0-77214300-1422290294_thumb.

thanks a lot, tried eBay etc, not many selling it, will try some car breaking guys, please do let me know if you know any place from I can get it easily, thanks,

Hi Nasir

I have a 54 plate same as you, I get this problem every now and then. When I bought the vehicle amongst the bills was a yaw rate sensor replacement , it obviously isn't that sensor as the fault still appears In my case after a few days it dissapears. The car performs as it should so I have put it down to some electronic conflict with all the sensors on these engines. It seems like a common fault on this model/year?

Hope this helps?

I still look on here to see if anyone has found the ultimate cure!!!

Regards John

good news, lights are gone :), thanks a lot guys, thanks a ton to avensisd4d786.

I bought the sensor from a local breaker for £35 last night and fixed it this morning, hopefully it will not come back, did some test driving will do more later this evening. Replacement was quite straight forward, it took me around 20-25mins, I am not good at DIYs, for experts it might be just 10min job,.

I removed 2 front and 2 back bolts from front passenger seat, and tilted the seat a bit back which gave me enough space to remove the cover of the sensor and sensor itself. Maybe someone good in DIYs might be able to do it without removing passenger seat bolts. The workshop manual say's do the re-calibration as well, which i didn't do but lights are gone, so not thinking to do that. Again thanks all for advices and help. However, one gone but one more issue I spotted in last couple of weeks, not related at all with sensor issue, will add new thread for the new proble.

• 5 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 4:11 PM, avensisd4d786 said:

have a look at this testing method.

Pm me your reg I will get you the part no for your sensor if needed

AVENCIS YAW SYSTEM (1).pdf

cant seem to open this, wouldn't mind a read at it if poss??

ta

• 1 year later...

My 2005 1.8 Avensis was showing ABS, TRC lights and my mechanic did diagnostic which said it is Yaw Rate sensor.  Where is it exactly?  I'm trying to source a refurbished one as I need my car for work and can't think about replacing it...love it too much.  Mechanic on well deserved holiday for 10 days so if you could help give me an idea of how big a job it is to replace it and any links to trusted supplier of refurb, that would be great 😍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293626944099?epid=10024522106&hash=item445d879a63:g:Um0AAOSw-tBfz~xn

Hi

If you go onto eBay, type in Toyota avensis yaw sensor, look for the ones from a seller called yaw.car.solutions, he sells guaranteed ones, and if you send him your VIN number he will make sure you get the right one, they are a bit dearer than one from a breaker but he offered to take mine back if it wasn't the fault, it wasn't as it turned out.

Apparently a simple fit according to the previous posts

Dave