Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Tyres On 2008 Avensis

Totally Tech IT

Hey,

I've bought a secondhand set of 17" genuine toyota alloys today, which currently have a set of 205-45-17 installed. Is this the best size for the car? I've read some people switch to 225-55-17 etc.

The garage want £358 for 4 new 205-45-17's so I'm wondering if a different size will allow me to make sure I still have a good tyre but maybe for less cash?

I've just looked on Kwik-Fit and they say my car should have 215/45W17 fitted....

pretty sure that my 57 plate 2.2 ran 215/50 R17s as standard. That's a 4.86% difference in rolling radius from 205/45 R17 though so you would need to be careful about your speedo.

What's on your car just now?

I just nipped outside, they are currently 205/55 R16 (Steels)

On kwik-fit with my reg it says these are allowed:

Front and rear : 215/45W17

Front and rear : 205/55V16
Front and rear : 195/65H15
So its interesting that these alloys which came off the same year Avensis had 205/45 R17, guess the previous owner just chucked on the cheapest set of tyres he could find... (Goodride @ £37 each!)
If the original spec says they should be 215/45 R17 then I guess thats what I should get... Just wondered if you can fit different tyres other than manufacturer specific ones.

215/50R 17 is only 2.22% different rolling radius from your current 205/55 R16. 215/45 R17 is 0.91% the other way.

You will notice the drop down to a 45 profile both in terms of handling (better) & ride comfort (worse).

hmmm, I think I'd rather have the handling better - I can't imagine it would make much difference would it? I'm planning on getting tyres with the ratings of either A, B or C and around the 70db noise level so hopefully it will be fine.

My car is very high mileage as its an ex taxi so I'm planning on getting it serviced shortly and getting it fully checked so that all the steering / braking etc is all checked over. I'm quite certain that it will be safe (with it being a taxi in use until last week) but just want to put my mind at ease. I did think that the front suspension was a little soft but the speed bumps are really bad here so I'm trying hard to make sure I dont hit the front of the car on the road as the back comes over the bump.....

225 45 17 is the common size in the 17" tyre.

I have been running these for years- original size 215 45 17.

Guys, after all this messing around my alloys were buckled.... so I'm buying a brand new set, which list the details as:

WHEELS ARE 6.5X16
ET45
PCD 5X114.3
BORE 60.1

and will fit AVENSIS II DIESEL (05-08)

however when I check http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Toyota/Avensis%20II%20(2003%20-%202008)/ it says

ET45

PCD 5x100

Bore 54.1

So I'm not really sure if these will fit, they are genuine brand new toyota alloys - 16" so they should but the details above are different....

Any ideas?

What size engine? The 2.2 T25 ran 5x114.3, the petrols & iirc the 2.0 D4D ran 5x100.

its a 2.0 D-4D 2008 so I think its 5x100, 54.1, 45 but the guy is certain they will fit mine....

ugh lol

I doubt they will fit Scott's comment is correct if the seller is close get him to try one on your car before buying

he is miles away, I'm not gonna go for them as I agree with you both :)

I know nothing about alloys (clearly) and I'm seeing things like 6.5J or 7Jx16, so I'm guessing the rim size is 16, and the width is 6.5 or 7J etc, but do you know what the avensis should be? Or is that the tyres?

6.5j /7j is the rim(alloy) width 16" 17" is the diameter of the wheel

this may help;

http://www.rimstyle.com/pages/alloy_wheels_explained.html

Just look for Toyota wheels with 5 x 100 you should be ok. some celica wheels fit too.

Brilliant, that really helped! Thank you :)

Sorry to keep asking questions about this, but I've managed to find some alloys I love, they are Fox FX005 wheels. I've found them on eBay in a 15 and they say they fit the avensis, but I want 16's so I've checked online and demon tweaks have them but they say:

16x6.5 Inch

ET35

5x100 PCD

73.1mm Centre Bore

So the PCD is right but the Centre Bore and Offset are different. Will this stop them fitting?

Centerbore Explained

Category: infoPages

The Center-bore is the hole in the center of the wheel. It is used to ensure correct alignment of the wheel, and in some cases will also bare part of the load.

If the centerbore on the wheel is lager than that of the hub, then the wheel can still be fitted with the addition of a hub ring.

On the other hand, if the centerbore on the wheel is smaller than on the car hub, it will not be possible to fit the wheel.

you'll need a fitting kit (spigot rings). It's a nice wheel - I considered them for my car. There is a version of the 16" FX005 with offset 40.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links