Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loosing Coolant

Carl190

I bought a 55 plate Toyota Celica t sport (190bhp) with 73,000 at the weekend I drove approximately 250 miles for the car and drove it back with no problems but I noticed the heaters were not blowing hot air so I just thought it could be low coolant level or air lock? so anyways i get the car home and realized the coolant level is below the minimum level so i topped it up then i noticed it was empty straight away so i filled it up again and looked under the car and sure enough it was leaking, i sorted that leak out which was just a rusty clip not tight then i thought nothing of it i took the car out and drove it for 10-15 miles and noticed the temperature gauge was flashing on H!!! now this is where im stuck between it being either the thermostat not doing what it is supposed to do? water pump broke? or worst case head gasket!! i have topped the coolant up took it out and thrashed the **** off it and funnily enough the temperature gauge is on H and coolant is empty, i looked around for leak and noticed a thick black pipe coming from the side off the engine and think it goes to the radiator is leaking, but I am not sure where the thermostat is on these could it be possible for that to be leaking and running down the side of the block?

The car starts fine, runs fine but just does not blow hot air through the heaters and the temperature gauge keeps going to H.

any advice will be a great help.

Hello Carl - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Topic moved to the Celica club.

Make sure you fill the radiator, not just the header tank.

I'd say it's odds on to be your radiator...not an uncommon failure on a Gen 7 Celi.

Check radiator on driver's side at bottom corner..that's the most common failure point.

The fitted under tray on a Celica tends to hide any coolant loss.

You can get a rad from eBay for under £30....fitting is fiddly but doable...bleeding the system successfully is the trick.!! (as per the instructions you should find on a sticky label on the underside of the bonnet lid.!

Could be a weeping water pump (near the belt tensioner) but you'd probably be able to see evidence of the pink coolant weeping.?

Heater matrix..?...any carpet dampness/smell inside the cabin.?...not so likely but worth a check.

Head gasket is unlikely..that's quite rare on a Celi.

Neil....

ps...thermostat "hides" behind alternator.

post-141750-0-68478700-1422442037_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links