Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has The Mechanic Damaged My Car?

elCommando

Hey guys,

I have a little problem which I need some assistance with, im hoping some experienced people on here can give me some advice. Please read my story thoroughly.

Ok, basically I had the timing belt and water pump changed on my Toyota Corolla D4D 2.0 by a local mechanic (recommended to me by my cousin).

When I gave him the parts, he kept confusing the Toyota Coolant with engine oil (Toyota coolant and engine oil both come in black packaging) I repeatedly told him that it was engine coolant and NOT engine oil.

Anyways, after the work was carried out (a few weeks ago) I checked my engine oil like I usually do before any journey on the motorway. I noticed that there was only a very thin layer of oil on the dipstick and also that it was light yellow in colour. Initially I thought this was down to the cold weather?

However, I had the oil change done a few weeks BEFORE the water pump & timing belt change and whenever I checked the dipstick it used to be dark, almost complete black in colour.

Today I opened the engine cap where the oil goes into and I noticed a single speck of a red/pink substance around the entrance.

My question is, what are the chances that the mechanic put coolant into the engine then realised his mistake, drained it all out ?

OR when you have a cambelt & waterpump change, does the oil drain?

Thansk for reading. I know its long.

No need to change the oil when doing the belt change.

For piece of mind, put in an oil flush and run it, then drain the oil and change the filter.

As regards any damage, i couldn't tell you. Have you any engine management lights on?

• Like 1

Hi,

I haven't seen any management lights come on.

I mean, before it used to be black but now it is light yellow. Could this be due to the weather?

I really dont want to go back to the garage, I've spent like £500 already this year, I cant afford anymore.

The oil would be a light clear colour when new.

Also check its consistency, water in the oil would show up as droplets.

If in any doubt get an oil change done for peace of mind.

Most exhaust centres would do it at reasonable price, or even Halfords, if you don't want to go back.

Have you questioned the garage where you got the work done?

Have you checked the coolant reservoir to see what is in there?

• Like 1

Try putting your finger on the coolant and feeling it between your finger and thumb, does it feel like oil or more watery. Secondly lick your finger, it might not taste nice but you will be able to tell the difference between oil and coolant, you can always spit it out afterwards. If in any doubts do as to what has been already suggested, put an engine oil flush through it and do an oil and filter change and do a full coolant change as well. It's not down to cost if you can afford it or not, a wrecked engine will cost you around £7000.00 from Toyota so cheaper to do the cheaper option.....................if in doubt about your diagnosis go to another garage and get their opinion.

Mike.

• Like 1

I noticed that there was only a very thin layer of oil on the dipstick and also that it was light yellow in colour. Initially I thought this was down to the cold weather?

Thats correct, after an oil change, and for a few more weeks, the dip stick should show a light coating of a light yellow oil.

However, I had the oil change done a few weeks BEFORE the water pump& timing belt change and whenever I checked the dipstick it used to

be dark, almost complete black in colour.

Thats Wrong, if you have just had an oil change it should be light yellow as above.

Would suspect you were either not given an oil change or the original oil was so old and had so much sludge left in even after draining that it immediatelly contaminated the new oil, hence the dark colour.

? if you had an oil change recently, why do another one with the cambelt change ?

As already said, as you are not confident about the oil and water then you must have them properly flushed out ad refilled correctly.

Any garage will do that for you, but make sure they understand you want them both flushing not just changing.

I noticed a single speck of a red/pink substance around the entrance.

A photo would be interesting.

Edit, it does seem a bit unlikely that a guy with the ability to correctly do a complicated cambelt change ( you have not reported any running problems since) would put antifreeze in the oil.

Are you sure he was not pulling your leg ...?

• Like 1

? if you had an oil change recently, why do another one with the cambelt change ?

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, let me try to explain this a bit more clearly.

Week 1: I got the engine oil changed and I watched him do it. He drained all the old one out into a bucket and put the new one in.

Week 2: I check oil, it is dark in colour and I read online that this is normal for a diesel.

Week 3: I realise my water pump is leaking and get the cambelt and water pump changed ONLY (no oil change)

Week 4: I check the oil and theres hardly an there and it is light in colour, lighter than honey colour.

Also, I will take a picture of what I found when I get home. It is very small, like 2mm x 1mm.

Try putting your finger on the coolant and feeling it between your finger and thumb, does it feel like oil or more watery. Secondly lick your finger, it might not taste nice but you will be able to tell the difference between oil and coolant, you can always spit it out afterwards. If in any doubts do as to what has been already suggested, put an engine oil flush through it and do an oil and filter change and do a full coolant change as well. It's not down to cost if you can afford it or not, a wrecked engine will cost you around £7000.00 from Toyota so cheaper to do the cheaper option.....................if in doubt about your diagnosis go to another garage and get their opinion.

Mike.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Ive checked and the coolant is fine. I just shone a bright light and it looked new and clean. Its just the engine oil that I'm worried about. And yes, I would rather just do an oil service again rather than pay ££££'s for a new engine.

Mike.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Ive checked and the coolant is fine. I just shone a bright light and it looked new and clean. Its just the engine oil that I'm worried about. And yes, I would rather just do an oil service again rather than pay ££££'s for a new engine.

Ok how about pulling out your dipstick and using your finger and thumb squeeze the liquid into a small glass of water, keep doing this until you have say 5ml, enough to cover the top surface of the water in the glass. Give it a shake and see if the oil floats of if it mixes with the water. If it stays separate then it is oil, if it mixes with the water then it is antifreeze/engine coolant.

Mike.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, let me try to explain this a bit more clearly.

Week 1: I got the engine oil changed and I watched him do it. He drained all the old one out into a bucket and put the new one in.

Week 2: I check oil, it is dark in colour and I read online that this is normal for a diesel.

Week 3: I realise my water pump is leaking and get the cambelt and water pump changed ONLY (no oil change)

Week 4: I check the oil and theres hardly an there and it is light in colour, lighter than honey colour.

Also, I will take a picture of what I found when I get home. It is very small, like 2mm x 1mm.

Have not used diesels so cannot say for certain, so hopefuly the D4D guys can come in a give a definative answer.

According the Castrols site a rolla diesel uses the same oil as a petrol , 5w 30 A1 and mine is certainly a honey colour in the can and stays like that in the engine for several weeks/ 1or 2 thousand miles.

You can do tests on the oil as Mike suggests but will you be assured by that ?

You can buy a can of Wyns engine flush for diesels for £5, so a can of that used as per the instructions followed by a new filter and oil change should ensure it all ok.

Just thought there, any coolant being burnt off in the combustion chamber would have a sweet smell from the exhaust.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links