Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Running Rough When Engine Warm

Big dirk

hi all, looking for some friendly advise please

I have a RAV4 that has been sat on the drive for a while, every two weeks I would start it up with no problem, left it running for 20 minuets each time with no issues, however, I decided to put the RAV back on the road.

So got insurance and booked the car in for an MOT, started the car set of on the road, only got to third gear and she started plying up, coughing and spluttering so turned round and parked it back on the drive

Sort advice on what it could be, fuel filter and spark plugs I was informed, so changed both to no affect it still coughs and splutters when engine gets warm

Parts replaced with new ones, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, new coolant sensor, new coolant flow sensor, new diaphragm, new MAP sensor and new oxygen sensor.

These items where identified on the diagnostics point using a paper clip and reading the flashing engine warning light on the dashboard,

I am at my whits end with this and it is costing me a fortune, apart from scrapping the car, what else could it be, what else can I check

Perhaps give your throttle a good clean, clean the idle control valve, and make sure you have no splits or detached breather hoses.

Is it lumpy when warm?

Also, how is your Battery?

Could this be something as simple as a air filter as it seems like a choke prob ?

Del

Thanks for the responses so far

AIr filter clean as a whistle, and dry, the whole vent system from the filter back to the carb is clear, no splits

The Battery was fully charged and seems to be ok at this point, would this affect the running of the engine though when warm

I have clean all working parts the best I can, but still runs like a bag of crap

Something to note though, I changed the spark plugs through a local parts supplier but they are not the same as those that came out, the old ones had a 2 prong above the electrode, the new ones only have 1 pron above the electrode (will this make any difrence)

I did check the new plugs again last night to ensure the cap was correct and giving off spark, all seem to produce a spark, didin't look brillient but a spark all the same, again would this affect the enging when warm

When engin cold you can rev the enging above 3000 revs, and as stated earlier when the tepm gauge starts to move to half way it will nt rev above 2000 revs

Can anyone please indicat how many oxygen/Lambda senors there should be on the RAV4 T Reg 20ltr petrol

Spark plugs are of different lengths. Wrong ones can lead to misfiring, I would change to those specified by Toyota..

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Can anyone tell me how many oxygen/lambda sensors there should be on my RAV4, I can only find one just below the exhaust manifold on the down pipe in the engine compartment, I have spent the last hour in this boltic weather soaked, freezing trying to locat any other sensor on the exhaust system, nothing found

I have put new spark plugs in and checked the cap,

As stated in the workshop manual at 1.1mm

Could this be something as simple as a air filter as it seems like a choke prob ?

Del

Hi, I have checked the filter, bone dry

Spark plugs are of different lengths. Wrong ones can lead to misfiring, I would change to those specified by Toyota..

Hi, I have changed the plugs to those spisp

New plugs as per workshop manual, still running rough when warm

To my mind the most likely part to do with a misfire is the HT leads but as it doesn't have them, it's the black power packs that go into the plug tub are the parts to replace.

You could buy one (Mark it ) and change one over one tube at a time, until the misfire stops. Inside those power packs are coils they are just the thing that could be breaking down when very hot .......good luck.

To my mind the most likely part to do with a misfire is the HT leads but as it doesn't have them, it's the black power packs that go into the plug tub are the parts to replace.

You could buy one (Mark it ) and change one over one tube at a time, until the misfire stops. Inside those power packs are coils they are just the thing that could be breaking down when very hot .......good luck.

Yes: would fit the symptoms perfectly. Coil breaks down under heat: misfire.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links