Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy A Corolla E12/e120. Advice And Thoughts

k4b

elCommando & oldcodger - thanks for the replies.

I thought that the Corolla in the T-Spirit and T3 trims came with climate control rather than air conditioning?

I thought that the Corolla in the T-Spirit and T3 trims came with climate control rather than air conditioning?

Think these brochures I found will help.

Seems all models 2005 on had air con, but it depended on the year they were made as to which models had climate control.

Always thought mine was standard air con, though the May 2006 brouchure implies my 1.6 5 door has climate control, registered sept 2006 and think it was built May 2006 or after judging by some of the parts date tags, so it may be ? better check !

Corolla-June-2005.pdf

Corolla-May-2006.pdf

• Like 2

Fantastic oldcodger - I've been looking for these brochures online with no luck. That has helped me understand the specifications much better.

Where did you manage to dig them out from?

Toyota all the way- any cheap cars up the north east of england. sick of ebay/gumtree/autotrader

Fantastic oldcodger - I've been looking for these brochures online with no luck. That has helped me understand the specifications much better.

Where did you manage to dig them out from?

Toyotas site, but via a google rather than looking direct, should have bookmarked the page.

Just checked my handbook, they refer to it as Air Con or Automatic Air Con rather than climate control.

If its got the Digital silver looking control panel you will notice an Auto button at the right hand end.

A feature I had actually missed ! perhaps save me messing with the manual controls , call it a 'senior' moment :blushing:

avensisd4d786

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

Toyota all the way- any cheap cars up the north east of england. sick of ebay/gumtree/autotrader

Got mine from Darglinton, private buyer, always seem to be some decent looking ones in the north east, just that you might have to be patient for a few weeks , would expect you wil find more around the new registations 1st March

What model / year are you after ?

Looks like 18 cars in your area on Autotrader - with several 2005/6 models

To be honest, I would never ever ever buy a vehicle from Gumtree/Autotrader/Ebay. They all have these dodgy wheeler dealers or young boys who have trashed the car out selling them. Expect problems from cars brought from eBay or Gumtree, I'd have some trust in Autotader but 90% of vehicles being sold there are dealers.

elCommando & oldcodger - thanks for the replies.

Hi, no problem.

& Yes, you are quite right about the climate control being in the T-Spirit.

Main dealers would be best shot but they do charge high prices. There are other places too but they would be out of reach sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello guys

For the first time in what feels like forever I had some free time on my hands and managed to test drive a couple of Corolla 1.6’s. Both where 2006 models, one was a T3 and the other a T-Spirit.

Overall they both felt well put together and easy to drive. The engines felt quite nippy once you gave it a bit of go but relaxed otherwise. The cabin inside were on the spacious side and everything was in easy reach. The clutch was a little heavy compared to other cars I’ve driven, but nothing that my left foot can’t handle!

Something I really liked was the sunroof on the T-Spirit (not that it was a particularly sunny day by any means) and the electro chromatic rear view mirror . The mileage of both cars were around the 90k mark, but looking at the history regularly serviced, which is more important to me.

The things I feel the Golf is slightly better at are:

Ride quality. Feels more comfortable

Brakes. Both Corolla’s brakes did not feel as sharp. I guess once you’re used to it it’s fine, but did you guys experience something similar?

As you say, from what I have read rather than experienced, the Golf is the better ride, the class leader so they say.

The clutch, not found mine unduly heavy, but Toyotas do tend the bite on the high side; got mine booked in for a new clutch this week, so will be intereresting to see how much lighter it is. Bit of slippage on 83k miles so at 90k they might not be too far off replacement is the pressure plate is worn down /heavy etc.

Never felt the brakes were poor or anything , though again perhaps the golfs are sharper as they are probably given a harder time by their drivers . Like any new car , the first thing to check over is the brakes, regardless of any service records.

Every easy to do , but the caliper slider pins do need a regular clean and lubricating otherwise the can seize, again nothing difficult.

The biggest difference I found with the corolla is the relativley short gearing, very handy for quick get aways but always seems like its looking for a 6th gear when motorway cruising, though adding some extra soundproofing and better front Speakers helped !

Golf has high gearing, our 1.6 FSI could go 70 in gear 3! And yes it was a 6 gear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links