Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Airbags

yungjohn

Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum, but have joined to help my mum out. She had a small ( well assuming it was small as not too much damage) accident and it only looks like a dented from bumper, which I have no problem changing. She drives a 09 Aygo blue if it makes a difference to airbags.

The only thing is the front drivers and passenger airbag went off and this means the srs is tripped and the front seat belts locked.

I will be changing airbags ( front drivers and passengers), front seat belts ( when I find some) and the airbag ecu.

I only have a couple of questions to anyone who has changed these before? Ive ordered a passenger airbag and the drivers airbag squib, still need to find the steering wheel cover, seat belts and either get the airbag ecu reset ( if thats possible) or changed or good second hand unit.

how do you access the bolts to take out the passenger airbag and is it hard to get the seat belts out?

I was planning to change the airbags and seat belts and then put the airbag ecu in last. Dont know if there is a recommended order to change them in?

Any information would be greatly appreciated - will take photos and write a guide when i start next weekend

Many thanks

Obviously the accident wasn't that small otherwise the airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners wouldn't have been triggered !!

Just because it looks like just the bumper is damaged, doesn't necessarily mean that is the extent of the damage.

Presume you're looking to use second hand parts, and, if you are, you cannot be sure these will work as intended in the event of another accident.

For the sake of your mother and passengers she may be carrying, get the repairs professionally done, either paid for by yourselves or through your insurance. At the end of the day, you could be endangering life by attempting repairs yourself when you don't know what you're doing.

• Like 1

Just to put your mind at rest, I am a professional. I am a qualified electrical and mechanical engineer, with a Masters in electrical and mechanical engineering. I'm also registered with IMechE and the IET as a CEng.

Airbags are generally set on the side of caution, therefore they will go off even if there is not much damage to the car to ensure the safety of the occupants. I could show you pictures of the car if you like, however there is no structural damage to the car, all metal work is straight and everything aligns correctly.

One reason I am completing the repairs myself and there will be professional bodyshops involved to spray the new bumper, is that I like to know everything has been complete correctly to the right standard and If I do work myself I know it has been.

However, thank you for your concern and can understand in some case, some people should not attempt these repairs, if they have no underpinning knowledge or competence

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum, but have joined to help my mum out. She had a small ( well assuming it was small as not too much damage) accident and it only looks like a dented from bumper, which I have no problem changing. She drives a 09 Aygo blue if it makes a difference to airbags.

The only thing is the front drivers and passenger airbag went off and this means the srs is tripped and the front seat belts locked.

I will be changing airbags ( front drivers and passengers), front seat belts ( when I find some) and the airbag ecu.

I only have a couple of questions to anyone who has changed these before? Ive ordered a passenger airbag and the drivers airbag squib, still need to find the steering wheel cover, seat belts and either get the airbag ecu reset ( if thats possible) or changed or good second hand unit.

how do you access the bolts to take out the passenger airbag and is it hard to get the seat belts out?

I was planning to change the airbags and seat belts and then put the airbag ecu in last. Dont know if there is a recommended order to change them in?

Any information would be greatly appreciated - will take photos and write a guide when i start next weekend

Many thanks

Sounds like this is a good time for you to invest in a Haynes manual, haynes manual number 4921 :)

Hi,

Thanks, Just ordered a Haynes manual, but thought there maybe some pearls of wisdom in this forum for people that have attempted this. To be honest, it looks really straight forward from having a quick look today, but I will see next weekend when i've completed the repairs.

Hi,

Thanks, Just ordered a Haynes manual, but thought there maybe some pearls of wisdom in this forum for people that have attempted this. To be honest, it looks really straight forward from having a quick look today, but I will see next weekend when i've completed the repairs.

Well as you asked......the manuals shows two small bolts on the underside of the passanger airbag but says , see other chapter for dash removel !

It's possible the lower dash by the glovebox needs to come out to get at the bolts....in good haynes manual tradition "undo bolts and remove " :(

Just found the section seem the upper dash has to come off ,then you unbolt the airbag :(

Just found the section seem the upper dash has to come off ,then you unbolt the airbag :(

Thanks for your help Conrod - Like anything in life, its never simple, however will be worth doing properly.

Ill let everyone know how it goes and what work in involved

Thanks again

Thanks for your help Conrod - Like anything in life, its never simple, however will be worth doing properly.

Ill let everyone know how it goes and what work in involved

Thanks again

Think with the Haynes manual in front of you (section 11) it will make more sense with a mix of push clips and screws.

• 4 weeks later...