Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius "combination Display" Reported Fault + Start-Up &

juggins

Wondering if anyone in UK, EU, or outside US has experienced an issue with the "Combination Display" intermittently turning on/off plus difficulty starting and stopping the Prius power.

This problem has been reported in USA but curious if i'm the only person experiencing this very same issue in UK? This has been well documented on various USA online forums:

http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_Campaigns/POL12-05.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/114901842/Prius-Combination-Meter-Warranty-Extension

I reluctantly paid my local Toyota dealer £66.00 to diagnose this issue which is ludicrous given no errors were found at the time and I had already advised the issue. However Toyota Technical recommended replacing the combination meter at a cost of an additional £566.42.

Details of this Toyota diagnostic report (mod edit - report deleted as it contained personal details of poster [address, etc])

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rickjuggins/7y1s58/ (removed personal details, thank you Mod)

I have only recently acquired this 2009 Prius T-Spirit after 4 years smooth sailing with my former Prius.

Has anybody else experienced a similar fault and how was this fixed?

Thank you

Is it a gen2 2009 or a gen3 2009? The gen3 came out about July 2009.

If it's the touch screen then there was a problem/design fault with early gen2's which was meant to have been corrected after the first couple years.

If it's the gen3 where the screen is going on and off, do you mean the speedo display? If so, then that's usually an object in the way - it's a mirror display. I have not heard of any display issues on a gen3.

Finally and this is probably my first course of investigation and a common issue on hybrids. What is the condition of the 12 volt Battery? Do a search of the forums as a failing 12v is often the cause of many issues and they usually fail about 5 years/80k miles. I won't repeat how to check this as it has been discussed in tens of threads in here.

The Combination meter relates to the Gen 2 Prius, it was/is an infamous fault because it seemed to occur a lot within the taxi trade in the USA - I'm surprised you have not heard about it, Grumpy, even if you do own a later model with its own problems? :cowboy:

Search for Luscious Garage on the internet.

The Combination meter contains the Odometer, I am not sure about any legal implications if it is not working (e.g. M.O.T.), or trying to fix it yourself?

My only suggestion would be to talk to your Dealer and see if they can talk with Toyota HQ and get them to to pay for some of the repair - they will likely say no but if you present them with your facts and ask nicely (I guessing you'll have to be persistent which I am no good at :dontgetit: ) maybe they'll pay something towards the bill?

One thing I do know is the part ain't cheap.

They also seem to fail slowly, becoming less and less responsive, slower, playing up more etc.

But still worth checking the 12v health.