Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Both Dipped Headlights Not Working

nicebutdim

I came out of work which is light well with my lights on, once joining the motorway I thought its darker than normal.

I realised that I only had the (what I would call parking lights - first notch on the stalk) but actually had it set to dipped/normal driving beam.

Full/or flash beam working and fog lights working, so I check the fuses.

I'm confused what fuse it is, the handbook isn't great IMO.

If anyone can check in their handbook, I was checking fuse 11 and 12 under the bonnet (the long wing mounted fuse box) 15A LO RH 10A and LO LH 10A

Any help would be great.

Check your bulbs. I had both dip bulbs blow at the same time on a Laguna I once owned.

Cheers Al, might pop over to Tesco's and get a bulb and try in their well light car park!

What are the corolla bulbs like to change, easy or pig? I admit to not have looked yet.

Best get more prepared for emergencies, no way I could have managed this at the side of the road.

Yes, the hand book makes it seem like the healights are double fused.

As I read the book, if 11 and 12 are ok, then check 14 and 15 which it states are the Lo beam ones.

If the are ok, then as Alan suggests they have probably both popped together.

The low beam bulbs are the easier of the two to get at, but if you do not know what you are doing its a sod of a job, but once you know its easy.

No need to remove the Battery for the near side bulb.

Do get yourself a small but bright torch and a small mirror.

Remove the outer cap, and carefully pull off the wiring connector, but if they have never been removed you might struggle as they can kind of fuse together, just waggle them carefully while pulling outwards, and watch your knuckles!

Then get the mirror and torch at locate the bulb clip and note which way to push the clip to release it.

Notice the tab on the bulb body and its position, so you get the new one in correctly.

On no account touch the glass of the new bulb or it will blow quickly.

If it is the bulbs that are blow, normally you can see the break in the filament, consider getting something like Osram Nightbreakers, they give a so much better beam over the standard bulbs, but at a price.

• 9 months later...

Just to close this, it ws unbalanced wheels causing the bulbs to blow within a month of fitting. I had new balanced tyres at the end of the summer and still on the bulbs from then.

More pronounced on the motorway where I spend most of my time.

Think it wil be ok now.