Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replaced Damaged Heater Control Panel On 1998 Avensis

Konrad C

Ever since I owned the car, heater control dial had been warped. Eventually the display cracked and the bright bulb is irritating.

The same car I have been cannibalising at the local breakers yard came to the rescue.

I paid £2 for the new panel and it on took a couple of minutes to remove as the console had been partly removed.

post-76861-0-28309500-1423298609_thumb.jpost-76861-0-55979100-1423298632_thumb.jpost-76861-0-54022000-1423298662_thumb.jpost-76861-0-08422600-1423298679_thumb.jpost-76861-0-38969100-1423298737_thumb.j

The first four pictures show the old panel and the last photo is the replacement unit.

If any bulbs need changing, this is the way to get to them. The bulbs are the same R286 capless type as used in the instrument panel.

post-76861-0-90402000-1423299155_thumb.j

Another quick and easy job to keep the car looking okay.

Konrad

must be cold in London your fingers have turned blue.

• Like 1

must be cold in London your fingers have turned blue.

Hi I, lol I had a laugh.

I wear gloves to protect the bulbs from contamination. I do this with all type of car bulbs, not just halogen.

I have purple gloves too.

Oh yes I can see the smurf jokes.

Konrad

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect and old topic but its all I can find on my particular heater control panel.

Konrad, from what I can see in your pictures, you just had to pull off the three control dials and the slider button above, in order to pull off the control panel facia. As hard as I try, the third dial, the one that controls blower power level, will not pull off, it seems to be stuck solid. Does it have to be in a particular position to pull off? I don't want to start prising it off with a screwdriver in case it damages something...unless that is the way its supposed to be done?

I need to change the bulbs behind the panel.
Thanks in advance

Hi John. To remove the heater fan control use two flat bladed tools at opposite sides to lever the control off. You won't break anything (I hope).P1050503.thumb.JPG.cd0fcc7b60b4bc62385175be02e0807b.JPGP1050496.thumb.JPG.9163a1a0dd2368a6ea8680517a09a279.JPG

The photos show you what is looks like with the control removed. Just more force is needed. 

By now you may have sussed that the same bulbs are used throughout the dash. The only bulb that is different is the hazard warning button. That is less common and expensive from Toyota.

I might have mentioned to you, any subject search using Konrad c and the article. I may have covered or fixed it.

Konrad :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Got all the dials off, eventually...and the slider button. Does the facia just pull off, then? It doesnt seem to want to move

Hi John. The facia has clips on the top and and below the facia that hook it to the white control panel behind - notice the white projections. You need a flat bladed tool to carefully lever the clips over the projections. That should be it. 

Found the two clips on the bottom....got a knife in to try to release them but no luck, tried all directions of leverage...if I levered any harder, something would have broken. I might have to look at how the haynes book says to do it

Look at my huge post I placed in error today - 

Unscrew the control panel and pull it as far as the cable will allow, then work from under the facia.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links