Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1999 Avensis 1.8 - Timing/cam Belt Change

drminfrance

Good morning from a crisp -5C France. I've had my Avensis from new and brought it with me when we moved to France. I'd always had the belt changed by my local mechanic in Wales, but the engine is due a change and I wondered how difficult this job would be to do m'self? Any observations would be helpful. Thanks.

David Miller

Moved to the Avensis club

It's relatively straightforward. Access is good but I would advise using the Haynes manual as there are a couple tricky areas.

As I recall removing the air con belt isn't obvious and the undoing pulley wheel nut are the only real problems.

Good luck

Thanks, think I'll give it a go. Haven't yet got the lingo yet to order the parts from the French dealership so does anyone have the part numbers for the belt and tensioner perchance?

The kit fitted to my car is Gates Power Grip Kit, part no. K015386XS. The kit came with the belt and the tensioner. If changing the belt only Gates part no. 5386XS. Also search - 39121x21.1HSN

Toyota part number 13568-09030 timing belt, and 13505-02030 tensioner/idler

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1998/avensis/at221r-aepekw/3_273540_024_/tool-engine-fuel/1302_camshaft-valve

A quick tip when trying to remove the crankshaft pulley, is not to pull by the out edges if it it tight to pull off. This could damage the rubber lining between the inner and outer sections. If that happens, you could suffer a failure that can destroy the alternator and air-con belts. This happened to me, but luckily I was close to home and had spares in the boot. The pulley is expensive, but I got a new Feba version for only £42. A suitable puller or a long bolt screw through one of the inner holes should he remove a stubborn puller.

I have never done the Avensis but hopefully it is not too difficult.

Good luck.

Many thanks, KC. The parts 'catalogue' link is really helpful too; I recently bought a pattern RHS front window wind mechanism from an eBay supplier, which has already (3 months) failed with the cable fraying, so it looks like an original Toyota replacement unless I can repair the cable. But I guess that's a forlorn hope.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links