Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed Please

Sandy999

I bought my first car today. An Auris auto transmission with the paddle shift. It is a 2009. It is used with 30000 miles. It drove well on the test drive but having driven it home and for a couple of hours after it has nearly brought me to tears. It is so jerky and ungainly. It lurches between gear shifts. I am really beginning to hate it. It came with a three month warranty. Is this somethng that can be helped?

Hello Ayla - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The Auris with Multi Mode Transmission isn't a true automatic - it is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch. I'm sure you'll get some helpful advice from the forum.

I had an Auris with the same gearbox for many years. Found that to get a smooth gear change I had to modify my driving style, in particular from 1st to 2nd. Try to anticipate the gear change and back off the the power a little. If you just keep the power on hard, without moderating, it will *****. When coming to a stop mine gave a thud as it went into first at about 5 mph. That is normal but annoying.

If the jerking is really bad I would take it back and have it checked over.

Reference my post above. strange I got ****** when I posted. Try the word lurch. Strange!

The advise I was given when I test drove a car fitted with this hateful gearbox was to back off the power just before the gear change.

If you maintain power as on a normal auto box the car will lurch.

The Toyota salesman said the gearbox was a big mistake (hence the CVT box now fitted).

My friend has a Honda Jazz fitted with the i shift (same principle) and the same rule applies.

He modified his driving and he is now happy (sort of).

As said earlier these boxes are NOT automatic gearboxes they are normal gearboxes with an automatic clutch.

I believe the DGS gearbox has 2 clutches this will operate in a far smoother fashion for obvious reasons.

I have been reading the forums about some sort of upgrade ? An ECU? Will that help. It seems quite slow coming off roundabouts and junctions. which seems quite dangerous in rush hour.

Also if I come off the power during gear change won't it make the car even slower and cause it to lurch more?

Just what manufacturers were thinking when they adopted these gearboxes from hell we'll never know.

Who in their right mind would 'sign off' such a nightmare contraption?

Either way, at least they've been quietly dropped by most companies.

Problem is though, there are still a good few (little) used ones knocking about and being passed off to unsuspecting punters. That crap about having to change your driving style to get the best out of one is laughable. Even applying great care when behind the wheel of one of these diabolical machines still leaves your passengers thinking that there's a learner driver at the wheel that hasn't quite got (and never will) the hang of changing gear.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

:( I bought this one for 6000£. My heart aches. It seemed fine on the test drive but that was on a very flat road. I bought Toyota as I thougt they were reliable and their cars have been around our family for s long time.

Is there any way now that this can be improved or do I have to suffer through it.

Did you not test drive it Ayla before handing the money over? What's the chances of you getting your money back? I'd even take a little less in return to be rid......

I did drive but as I said it was a fairly flat road. Where I am is quite hilly so the car really struggles. And the rounabouts were a nightmare yesterday

I think you only have two options.

1.Try and change your driving to match the action of the gearbox (cheaper option).

2.Take car back to dealer and see if some deal can be struck on another vehicle (must it be a automatic ?).

Toyota's are reliable as are Honda,both companies must have had some sort of brain storm when they produced the MMT and i SHIFT gearboxes.

Toyota's are reliable as are Honda,both companies must have had some sort of brain storm when they produced the MMT and i SHIFT gearboxes.

Bit off topic, but came across an interesting thread from 2010 - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/107231-mmtrecall/

Is part of the issue with the MMT that we just tend to hear when people have problems with it - how many owners don't have problems?

Toyota run a Vehicle Exchange Plan, if your not satisfied with your purchase and have had it less than 30 days and done less than 500 miles you can take it back and exchange it for another vehicle. So this is another option you could consider.

Toyota run a Vehicle Exchange Plan, if your not satisfied with your purchase and have had it less than 30 days and done less than 500 miles you can take it back and exchange it for another vehicle. So this is another option you could consider.

... that's provided the car was bought from a Toyota dealer, which we don't know.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I mainly posted to find out about ECU upgrade. What it was? And if it helps? If anyone knows about this I would appreciate the input.

Unfortunately the car was not from a Toyota dealership. I will drive it a bit more to c if I can get used to it. If not I guess I can webuyanycar it and buy a different car.

As the car is still within the three month warranty period, why not go back to the dealer, explain the difficulty you're having and see whether they can check the car over to ensure that it is operating correctly. If need be take the person out with you and try it on a couple of hills so they can see what the issue is. Alternatively see whether they have something else more suited to you.

If you go through a car buying site, you will lose money on it.

Also have a look at the following topic which gives advice on the driving technique (the Auris MMT should be similar to the Aygo MMT) -- http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/108601-driving-technique-mmt/

:( I bought this one for 6000£. My heart aches. It seemed fine on the test drive but that was on a very flat road. I bought Toyota as I thougt they were reliable and their cars have been around our family for s long time.

Is there any way now that this can be improved or do I have to suffer through it.

Sorry to say but thats expensive... I have my 2011 with 36k miles for sale in white for 6k!

ToyotaAuris I had been looking for over a month. The cars were priced a few hundred pounds here or there of 6000£. All 2008, 2009 models. You sure you aren't selling yours too cheap. On autotrader a car of your spec is 8-9000

As regards prices, it depends whether you're comparing apples with pears or apples with apples.

The MMT transmission only comes with the 1.6 petrol or the 1.4 diesel, and we don't know which engine or spec Ayla's car has.

I thought that ToyotaAuris's was a 1.33 TR?

There will also be some regional variation in prices, etc.

As regards prices, it depends whether you're comparing apples with pears or apples with apples.

The MMT transmission only comes with the 1.6 petrol or the 1.4 diesel, and we don't know which engine or spec Ayla's car has.

I thought that ToyotaAuris's was a 1.33 TR?

There will also be some regional variation in prices, etc.

yes i have 1.33. The prices of all Auris's (except 1.4 diesel) no matter what transmission have similar prices. The 1.6 will have same price as a 1.33. This only applies for Auris's, very funny because no other car is like this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links