Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Else Wear Earplugs On Motorway?

PFJ

Hi,

Anyone else wear earplugs on long motorway journeys? I have an aygo diesel 2006 and on some roads the noise gets too much.

Is the petrol quieter at motorway speeds?

Cheers,

PFJ

Aygo diesel? Never heard of that one before.

Aye, they only made it for one year and it didn't sell too well because it does 68mpg and the petrol does 60+ with cheaper fuel prices, better acceleration and cheaper servicing.

It is quite rare as it had a very short run. They put the wrong engine in it so it's actually worse than the 1.0VVTi in every respect except for torque, and didn't do well in sales because of that.

They really should re-release it with the Toyota 1.4 D4D instead of the PSA 1.4HDI - The Toyota unit has nearly double the horsepower and would turn the Aygo into a rocket :lol:

I know what you mean about the earplugs tho'; With the above-spec tyre pressures and my Yaris' lack of sound damping it's pretty loud on rough motorway surfaces and I sometimes have noticeable tinnitus after especially long runs :unsure: (The newer smooth tarmac they use in some places is SOOOOOOOOO quiet by comparison. It's so nice! :yahoo:).

They really should re-release it with the Toyota 1.4 D4D instead of the PSA 1.4HDI

With the new, more economical Atkinson 1.0 litre engine supposedly being fitted to the Aygo later this year, a diesel Aygo would make even less sense.

I dunno, it depends on your goal and point of view I suppose.

I reckon a similarly advanced 1.4 D4D could match the new Atkinson 1.0 for economy, but it would be a hell of a lot more pleasant to drive!

An economical petrol engine rarely develops a decent amount of torque, atkinson cycles even less so, but a diesel engine can be both economical and deliver a strong torque at the same time as the diesel cycle is inherently better at extracting energy from fuel.

I think anyone who's driven a 1.0VVTi and a 1.4D4D on the same car would agree the 1.4D4D is far more enjoyable to drive because of the massive torque difference, even tho' the horsepower is similar.

• Like 1

I did my trip down to Derby today in my petrol Aygo and sound wasn't too bad.

Wow just done a check and only 75 Aygo D4D sport and 600 normal D4D Aygo remain in the UK.

I find my petrol Aygo quite on motorway trips, only affected by poor road surfaces......and hills ( air/con on ! ) :):)

• 2 weeks later...

That's why they have a six speaker system, just turn it up till your ears bleed :)

Excessive road noise was a complaint on earlier Aygo's something Toyota improved on with additional soundproofing and suspension mod's on the 2009 Facelift and even again with the 2012 minor change

Just completed my first long journey since buying my 2014 Aygo. Noise level no worse than my diesel focus and normal conversation easy.

Set the speed limiter to 75, good traffic conditions for 180 miles and returned 58mpg - well chuffed.

Yeah but all six Speakers are in the front :-( for a city car it was very good but my back suffered over the years with my 2010 Black Aygo, seats were unsupportive otherwise a great car.

That's why they have a six speaker system, just turn it up till your ears bleed :)

that's my chosen method to block out of the road noise.

BRING THE HEAVY METAL THUNDEEEEEEEEERRR!!!

:lol: