Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delivery Of 15 Reg Yaris

hazelwoods

I ordered a new Yaris Hybrid Excel for 1st March delivery.

I popped into the showroom tonight to see if I could choose reg number yet and to check all will be ready in time. It will be with the dealer at the end of this week.

I then mentioned taking delivery of the car "It's a week on Sunday."

The response floored me. Apparently they don't let owners collect new cars at the weekends because they don't have workshop support in case anything goes wrong. So I would need to collect my new car on Monday 2nd instead. Once I'd got my head round the fact the salesman was serious I pointed out I was not happy and asked him to tell his manager. He obviously thought I'd quite happily accept this and suggested I was disappointed rather than unhappy. I politely pointed out the difference and I was not happy and suggested that his manager would not be happy if I cancelled the order if I couldn't have it for delivery on 1st March.

The manager, strangely, agreed that I can collect my car on Sunday 1st March.

Why can't cars be collected at weekends? New reg come twice a year. Surely different arrangements should be made if these days land at the weekend.

Am I very much out of touch with car sales, or is this a ridiculous thing to do?

Of the 17 new cars we've bought, never had an issue with collecting any car when we wanted. Wonder whether the Sunday handover causes difficulty for that salesperson (doesn't want to work on the Sabbeth).

The showroom is open on Sunday and the salesman is in on a Sunday.

It just seemed ridiculous that they don't let people collect cars at the weekend. The excuse that there needs to be workshop support in case anything goes wrong doesn't add up either. I suggested that for new registration days on 1st March and September they should have workshop support in, if that was their normal stance.

I've bought many new cars that have been collected on 1st of a month, including weekends. I've just never bought one for the first day of new registration.

When some garages open at midnight for new registration I just couldn't believe this garage could be so flippant.

Being a cynic I'd suspect they were just trying to spread the new collections over a few days and the mechanic thing was just a ploy. When pressed they've agreed and someone else is probably getting the 'mechanic' excuse.

I remember in the past (some years now as TBH I don't generally notice the new regs any more) seeing cars with the new reg on the road a day or two before the actual date. Was that ever legal?

I remember in the past (some years now as TBH I don't generally notice the new regs any more) seeing cars with the new reg on the road a day or two before the actual date. Was that ever legal?

Probably had trade plates lodged on dashboard/rear parcel shelf.

I suggested that if I couldn't have it on Sunday I would just collect it on Friday with trade plates for the weekend. He didn't like that idea.

I was seriously considering cancelling. That would really have put the cat among the pigeons. If they had told me when I ordered it that I couldn't have it on Sunday 1st I would not have ordered it.

I will now be looking very carefully when I collect it. If there is any sign of anyone else collecting their new car I will take the matter up with the manager.

I suggested that if I couldn't have it on Sunday I would just collect it on Friday with trade plates for the weekend. He didn't like that idea.

I was seriously considering cancelling. That would really have put the cat among the pigeons. If they had told me when I ordered it that I couldn't have it on Sunday 1st I would not have ordered it.

I will now be looking very carefully when I collect it. If there is any sign of anyone else collecting their new car I will take the matter up with the manager.

Hi, sorry to say but I think your going over the top about canceling the order over a 1 day delay. I understand that you have purchased a brand new car and have the right to want your car asap when it is delivered but 1 day wouldent hurt would it :P

When you have 100 cars going out on the 1st, you need to have people on hand to do the handover, you also need people to be free to sell cars too, as you would be unhappy going in the dealership and not be able to talk to a salesman because they were all tied up doing a handover. They should have been honest with you and not tried to fob you off with the "workshop" excuse. Most people are happy, if advised, that they will need to spread the handovers out over a couple of days. After all, you deserve to have the salesman spend time with you to go through the paperwork and show you the controls etc, this will take perhaps 30 minutes or more, the last thing you want is to be rushed and hurded out of the door after 5 minutes. This rarely happens to be honest, it is unfortunate that March 1st falls on a weekend, one of the busiest days of the year which also falls on a Sunday. One of the dealership groups around here is not even open on a Sunday, even for March 1st, as the owner has religious beliefs, so threatening to cancel the deal is somewhat over the top IMHO, they just failed to handle the situation properly as they should have.

• Like 1

I stated I wanted the car on 1st March when I agreed to buy it. Not 2nd or 3rd March.

Had they said before I signed on the dotted line that there would be a problem I would NOT have signed. I tried at that point to arrange a time for collection as I realised they would be busy. They wouldn't do so until they had found me a car and it was on its way.

I hadn't heard anything from them for 2 weeks so on my way past the showroom yesterday I went in to see how things were looking. It was only during that conversation that the "no handovers on Sunday" was mentioned.
I have no idea how many cars they have going out with 15 reg. It makes no difference to me. The salesman was very aware that I wanted to take delivery asap on 1st March.

They called me about a good deal on a new car because they need to keep their sales quota. Obviously they had hoped to make it a February sale. After discussion the manager agreed that he'd rather have a sale for 1st March than no sale at all.

If I am paying all that lovely money for a new car (which I didn't really need to buy) I feel I have earned the privilege of being able to drive around on 1st March with one of the very few 15s on the road. In my time I have bought a few new cars for new reg delivery. But unfortunately my timing has never been quite right and none of them have actually been in the garage in time for delivery on 1st of the month. This time my car will be there.

However, my original dismay was in the fact that I was told they do not allow collection of new cars at the weekend because of workshop issues.

Maybe I should just have replied "Pull the other one..."

• Like 1

They called me about a good deal on a new car because they need to keep their sales quota.

That would make no difference at all, deals on done on a quarterly basis, not month by month, like I said, poor communication from them, and the nonsense about no mechanics around on a Sunday has put a bad taste in your mouth. Just put it behind you and enjoy what will be a lovely brand new car

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I would think that the insurance attached to trade plates would only cover employees of the dealership (the name trade plates is a bit of a clue). I wouldn't even ask for something like that.

I stated I wanted the car on 1st March when I agreed to buy it. Not 2nd or 3rd March.

If 'time is of the essence' was involved it should have been written on the contract you signed. If it wasn't then it isn't easily enforceable.

I'm far from an expert in such things, but neither am I a complete novice.

I have had discussions about quotas with salespeople at various levels. 3 cars ago my son could not understand why it was so important to the dealership to sell a new car to me when they would still have to sell mine on. I explained it to him as it had been explained by a dealer friend of the family. My son was still not convinced. So he asked the manager when we visited to sign on the dotted line for my new one. His explanation was the same as mine. He laughed when I explained that my son didn't believe me, but he was willing to believe the manager.

But that's not important.

As Parts-King says, it has left a bad taste. It may be the usual story of, a woman doesn't really know what she is doing. She'll accept anything. Unfortunately for them, they chose the wrong woman to try it on. They will not be my first port of call next time.

I will just look forward to a week on Sunday when I collect my lovely new car, and plan where I will drive to :)

It may be the usual story of, a woman doesn't really know what she is doing. She'll accept anything.

Until this I hadn't even noticed your gender. Sadly, you could well be right about their attitude.

• Like 1

The salesman is new to the dealership. He may well have not picked up little hints re my understanding of car purchasing.

I like to see how they treat a lone female who is obviously not a "young thing". It can be quite an amusing process.
Once I have determined that they are not going to treat me as if I don't know anything I drop little hints.

Several years ago a salesman immediately lost a sale when he suggested I might like to go home and discuss the possible purchase with my husband. Oops :)

There are only 2 days a year I would NOT collect a brand new car and you have picked one of them.

Service department likely to have rushed through the PDI, so many hand overs happening on the day the sales people will be under pressure to get you off the forecourt as soon as possible.

• Like 1

There are only 2 days a year I would NOT collect a brand new car and you have picked one of them.

Service department likely to have rushed through the PDI, so many hand overs happening on the day the sales people will be under pressure to get you off the forecourt as soon as possible.

Absolutely spot on.

Having worked in a main dealer for 15 years, this is precisely what happens.

No. Plates are bolted on, quick check and deflate the tyre pressures to whatever the tech 'thinks' they are supposed to be. (Tyre pressures are inflated to around 50psi to prevent tyre deforming if stored for a long period before sale)

Then a quick spin round the block and then off to the cleaners to get de waxed etc.

Often the PDI is carried out by the apprentice because the rest of the workshop are too busy.

No way would I buy a car for delivery on the new reg 1st of the month.

I can't see why picking it up on 2nd is any better than on 1st.

They will have the car for 8 days before I pick it up, more than enough time for a proper PDI.

They also have 2 options on how to deal with it. My son says they'll have me marked down as a trouble maker. They can either make a mess of it because I objected to Monday handover, or they can make extra sure it's done properly.

If it's done properly they will have redeemed themselves after the ridiculous "no weekend" handovers. If it is not done properly "They ain't seen nuthin' yet." I'll be very surprised if they take the risk, but I'm ready for the situation if it arises.

• Like 1

Haha, I had the tyre pressure scenario with 2 cars !

My Porsche 911 in 1999 and my Yaris last year.

The Yaris was delivered with all the tyres at the same pressure, all over the recommended pressure for the fronts.

The 911 was worse, they left them at the transit pressure and I had to let out over 15 psi, I wondered why the steering felt light on the 30 mile drive home.

The pressures are the one thing I check when I get a new car home whatever the weather.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll make sure I check the tyres when I get home.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with tyre pressures. They were at 48 psi. Laziness/careless by the dealers; this was last December, so no excuse for being 'busy'.

Thanks, I'll make sure I check the tyres when I get home.

Tyre pressures should be checked when the tyres are cold.........Not after the car has been driven any distance

Don't let this unfortunate situation spoil your enjoyment of your new Toyota :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

She was waiting, hidden under a red cover, facing out the showroom door when I arrived. Behind her was another Yaris Excel Hybrid in the same colour lol

I filled up the tank on the way home. The reading immediately said 449 miles range!!! Does the new Hybrid have a bigger petrol tank than the T4? My old car never did more than 350 on a full tank.

Hybrid tank is 36 litres [nearly 8 gallons]. 449 miles for 8 gallon = 56mpg. The range is calculated from recent fuel consumption.

My previous car had a 60 litre tank; and I'm still not used to the speed at which the fuel gauge needle drops.

• Like 1

No problem with my dealer, picked it up this afternoon after seeing pre PDI on Tueday,

She was waiting, hidden under a red cover, facing out the showroom door when I arrived. Behind her was another Yaris Excel Hybrid in the same colour lol

I filled up the tank on the way home. The reading immediately said 449 miles range!!! Does the new Hybrid have a bigger petrol tank than the T4? My old car never did more than 350 on a full tank.

My first fuel up brought 440 miles range but now after 7 fuel ups and 1k+ mileage, it went down to about 330 miles range. :dontgetit: I'm blaming the cold weather. lol