Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Estate T180 D4D Head Gasket Problems

johng81

Hi,

Anyone have experience of T180 D4D head gasket failure. I know of the have Secret Warranty WB553 which Toyata have - under 7 years, under 111,000 miles and FSH. I got problem diagnosed at local garage before knew of the warranty, took it to Toyota dealer paid £90 to diagnose problem which was head gasket. They then tell me the car needs stripped to find out what caused it and if they find anything untoward the warranty will be invalid. I feel they are conning me and would just find anything to say its invalid. I would have to pay for strip down and rebuild if this the case. The car is in otherwise excellent condition. Car is 2008, 92,000 and my 7 years is up at end of Feb. I have had it serviced at correct intervals at local garage in last 3 years first 4 years at Toyota.

I have escalated to Customer Realations UK but not got any real answer yet. Would anyone expect to have to get car stripped to validate a warranty? I see numerous examples of similar problems and can't believe all who were successful had to go through this.

Hello John - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

See the following topic - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

The 'extended warranty' on these engines covering the head gasket and associated problems isn't a 'Secret Warranty', its a measure of goodwill.

I had the new engine over two years ago, the local dealer topped up the oil and told me to come back after 1000 miles, they then recorded how much it used as more than half a litre is a sign of head gasket failure, this was the case and i had a 3/4 engine replacement a couple of weeks later. All in i think it cost me about 2 pounds for the initial oil top up.

The warranty extension covers 2 main issues ( some DTC's as well ) these are head gasket failure due to a reaction between the head gasket material and the coolant or excessive engine oil consumption that can lead to head gasket failure due to carbon build up.

Toyota fixed the first issue ( head gasket material ) in November 2007 so your 2008 Avensis would not benefit from the head gasket cover. The only other issue that may cover your car is carbon build up due to oil consumption, as the head gasket has failed you cannot carry out a measured oil consumption test to prove excessive oil consumption so your dealer will have to prove to Toyota that carbon build up has caused your head gasket to fail, this will require photos of the piston crowns showing carbon built up on them which is why your dealer is requesting you cover the cost of stripping the engine and warning you of potential costs as if when the engine is stripped down there is no evidence of carbon build up Toyota will not cover the issue under warranty and you will have to pay.

• Like 1

Thanks Lee, however, I do have a copy of the warranty bulletin which does cover my 2008 model.

PM your chassis number and I will check as if your car is covered for both issues then it is a very late registered car.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all replies. As previously mentioned took up my complaint with Toyota UK customer relations, my main issue being I felt I was being penalised for having car serviced at local garage. The head gasket problem is the one with the carbon deposits on pistons. Today I have had confirmation that Toyota will honour the warranty under a good will gesture. Well done Toyota faith in you restored and a happy Toyota customer retained.

• 5 years later...

Hi all, 

I've recently had the head gasket blow out due to carbon build-up near the gasket/head. It's a 141 2.0L d4d strata and has had all services on time and carried out by toyota garages. I had to fit a new engine as I was told hard luck and this was not a problem that would be anything to do with toyota solving it. I own two identical strata both 2.0L and feel like it's pointless getting them serviced by toyota. Should I have been treated with a little more car care or is it just tough

Iv 12 reg vsc system always on dash problem always with egr valve 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links