Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2004 2.0 D4D Engine Noise When Revs Decrease

ttc

Hi guys

My new (to me) 2004 Avensis makes some weird noises when the revs are decreasing, from somewhere around 2200-2400 to idle.

If I increase the revs, let's say to 3000, that noise is not there anymore.

I noticed this after I took it to the local MOT equivalent, which is the Romanian Automobile Registry, or R.A.R.

Before this, I drove it from Germany to Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Hungary and home in Romania with only one issue. In Luxembourg the "Check Engine" TRC off and VSC lights came on, because the glow plugs were faulty. All 4 of them.

I changed the spark plugs, oil, filters ( 4 of them) and the timing belt kit. All went well, and now this.

I first noticed it while changing gears, but if I rev it up to 2500-3000 the noise is not there.

I don't want to rev the engine too much while it is still cold.

What would mean over-revving while engine is cold?

What amount of revs is safe while engine is cold?

Am I paranoid?

Also, here are 2 links with a couple of videos shot today with my phone:

Thank you guys!

K

sounds like a vibration to me anyway.

check exhaust / air filter piping / engine undertrays

im pretty new to this forum but already building up a picture of common faults like aircon pump pulley / alternator clutch.

hope its something not engine related

I would wrap the the air intake pipe in foam as the the original foam disintegrates over time.

have a look at this link;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157790-harmonic-hum-through-air-box;-2007-diesel-20l/

if it is your aircon pulley rattling put the aircon if the noise goes away then its the most likely the air pump pulley,

the aircon can be bypassed if needed with a shorter belt- but this would mean the aircon would not work.

other option is to replace the aircon compressor pump.

I will take it to a mechanic next month, and I'll tell him all the suggestions that you kind people provided. The proble is that after the engine heats up, the noise seems to be gone. Also, it's not always there even when the engine is cold.

I'll try to keep some kind of "log" and will keep you informed.

K

So, to finish this thread.

The noise was made by the air filter housing, who resonates when the RPM's are "just right". The mechanic fixed it by putting some rubber bushing between the housing and something else under the hood, to keep the housing in a fixed position.

Also, he recommended not to use mann Filters, as I did. So I may be a costumer for a K&N air filter, and next year when I'll change the filters again I'll ask for more recommendations.

Cheers!

K

• Like 1

So, to finish this thread.

The noise was made by the air filter housing, who resonates when the RPM's are "just right". The mechanic fixed it by putting some rubber bushing between the housing and something else under the hood, to keep the housing in a fixed position.

Also, he recommended not to use MANN Filters, as I did. So I may be a costumer for a K&N air filter, and next year when I'll change the filters again I'll ask for more recommendations.

Cheers!

K

Glad you god sorted.

did he say why not to use mann filters?

He said that on the Romanian market, mann is not what it used to be.

Sadly, there are a lot of products that are especially made for the Eastern European market that lack the quality that you'll find on the Western market, most obvious in cosmetics. If you red the labels, you'll notice some key ingredients missing.

So, the "don't use MANN" might not be valid in the UK

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links