Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.6 Auris Vvti Or Valvematic

ali57994

Hi guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a 1.6 petrol Auris (1st gen) and just wondering if anybody can advise between a vvti or valvematic. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any problems? or if the valvematic is worth spending a bit extra for? The reviews i've read have been slightly mixed but generally saying Toyota are bulletproof. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Al

The Valvematic is a development of the Dual VVTi engine, and incorporates Toyota's Optimal Drive enhancements - which improve efficiency, reduce emissions, etc. The Valvematic is slightly more powerful - 132bhp compared to 124bhp - and will also have a six speed manual gearbox as opposed to the previous five speed.

Thanks frosty balls, would you say it's worth an extra £800? Or would you just go with the vvti? Thanks again

Also the valvematic in question has an additional 10,000 on the clock

Not worth 800£ more, only £100 or £200. On the Auris, 10k miles make a big difference in pricing, which you will probably have seen.

I think overall it depends on the condition of the cars, and difference in age and spec. May not be worth £800 more, but no-one on the forum has seen either car, so it is difficult to say with certainty.

Both in good nick, there both tr's but the valvematic is 2009 rather than 2007.

Is it true the vvti engines drink oil???

Not sure but my Auris with 36k miles did drink a little oil, little over 3/4 on the dipstick full in 1 year, 9k miles. Normal to be honest.. Also it depends on how much the engines been thrashed out, if its worn out it will drink more oil.

Can you post the link of both for sale and I can tell you if you want?

I'd go hands down with the newer one with the valvematic, it's two years newer for £800 more.

Depending when they were first registered in 2007 and 2009, there could be a difference in age of between 14 months (if a late 2007 and an early 2009) to 35 months (if an early 2007 and a late 2009). Again I would be tempted to go for the newer one.

If you do any motorway driving the six speed box in the 2009 one will be a bit more relaxed.

Is there anything that I need to make sure has been done , recalls, cambelt etc...? I couldn't find any info on recalls when I looked on Google

I faced this same dilemma last year when I bought my Auris. Although I would have no qualms about owning a 1.6 vvti I went for the 1.6 Valvematic in the end due to the 6th gear, slightly better fuel economy and cheaper road tax. I think the vvti oil burning issue was sorted out before the Auris came along, and certainly my Valvematic uses no oil whatsoever, I check it regularly and the level never moves on the dipstick.

By the way, both vvti and valvematic use a timing chain so no cambelt to worry about.

thanks guys, does the chain need to be changed at any point or does it last the life of the car? Any recalls??

As long as the oil is changed at the recommended intervals the chain should last the life of the engine.

If you know the reg numbers of any of the prospective purchases you can check for recalls here

http://www.toyota.co.uk/owners-info/recall-checker

As far as I know the 1.6 petrol wasn't subject to any recalls anyway.

checked both cars and they've had the green light on the recalls. does any body know when they changed to the valvematic engine ?? "my car check" says the 2007 car is a vvti but when i did the recall check on the Toyota website it said it was a valvematic.

Would have been April 2009.

Is the valvematic engine noticeably better? Or is it just better for the 6th gear? Because my friend made a good point that £800 will buy a lot of fuel and tax

AFAIK the 1.6 Valvematic is just the 1.6 Vvti with a slightly modified head and valvegear. In itself it's not worth paying an extra £800 for in my opinion. My choice was easier as I was looking at 2009 cars around the changeover point, so only a very small price difference, if any, between the two.

Is the valvematic engine noticeably better? Or is it just better for the 6th gear? Because my friend made a good point that £800 will buy a lot of fuel and tax

Yes but it's also buying a car two years newer (depending on exact first reg date, as frostyballs metioned). When you sell it surely it'll be worth more than it's older sister so you recoup at least some of the cash, and along the way you're running around in a newer car.

6 gear does not make a difference but if its a 2009 model and the normal 1.6 is 2007 then its worth it, go for 2009.

6 gear does not make a difference but if its a 2009 model and the normal 1.6 is 2007 then its worth it, go for 2009.

While I haven't driven the newer model, I can say that my 2007 VVTI feels like it really needs a 6th gear so I'd be surprised if the presence of one makes no difference.

I understand that the 2009-onwards models also had improvements to handling. It makes sense that 2 years after its introduction, various improvements can be made on the first generation.

Even disregarding all that, as you say it is 2 years younger and that is most definitely worth spending £800 on; you should get at least that amount extra back when you sell it.

Ps I am not aware of any Auris engines burning excessive amounts of oil - this was a well-known issue with the VVTI in the Corolla (I had to top mine up every few months - it wasn't that much hassle or expense and meant at least I knew the same oil wasn't sitting in there too long!)

ZaphodB, could it just do with the sixth gear for motorway driving? Or just generally?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links