Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.6 Auris Vvti Or Valvematic

ali57994

Our automatic Auris has 6 gears and still sounds like it needs another when on the motorway. I'm sure plenty people know, but this "auto" is actually a 6 speed manual... It just has an automatic clutch. Maybe it's the same box? If it is then the ratio between 3rd, 4th and 5th is too close anyway, ie 6th feels like 5th does in any other car.

Why not test drive both your cars and see which you prefer?

Our automatic Auris has 6 gears and still sounds like it needs another when on the motorway. I'm sure plenty people know, but this "auto" is actually a 6 speed manual... It just has an automatic clutch. Maybe it's the same box? If it is then the ratio between 3rd, 4th and 5th is too close anyway, ie 6th feels like 5th does in any other car.

Why not test drive both your cars and see which you prefer?

I searched for the gear and final drive ratios and could only find the following:-

http://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1329495406120216MTOYOTAAURISTECHNICALSPECIFICATIONS.pdf

I find a lot of petrol cars are lower geared than similar petrol models of the 90's and earlier, because of the increased weight of newer models. For example my old '93 cavalier 1.8 was geared a couple of miles an per 1000 rpm compared to my '98 Avensis. This meant the Avensis is more fussy compared to the cavalier at motorway speeds. The Avensis is not a noisy engine so it still is fairly relaxed.

The Auris petrols have low gearing and closed the ratios a little compared to the 5 speed. The Avensis petrol from 2008 are long geared.

I want a car with relaxed motorway cruising, and it does not matter how many gears it has.

The Auris gear needs to be shifted quickly but in gear 4 you can get to 75 without problem on my 1.3 and gear 5 doesent really pull as much and gear 6 is just a cruiser

ZaphodB, could it just do with the sixth gear for motorway driving? Or just generally?

For motorways and dual carriageways. On single carriageways the 5 gears are fine (as you'd expect). But if you never go onto motorways or A-roads then maybe an Aygo would be better (or a moped) :)

I strongly believe that even if that's the case and you don't care about the gearing, £800 is a small price to pay for better handling, better controls and interior, more MPG and all the other little improvements that come from 2 years of user testing (I broke my own rule of not buying first-generation stuff and regret it). And even ignoring all that - it will still hold its value better.

If your doing motorway mileage then get the 6 gear. My 6 gear 1.3 engine gives me about 460 miles on £30 fuel when cruising at 70-80 MPH.

If your doing motorway mileage then get the 6 gear. My 6 gear 1.3 engine gives me about 460 miles on £30 fuel when cruising at 70-80 MPH.

That seals the deal for me. I can't get that from my 5-gear 1.6 and I wouldn't consider cruising at 80 for long anyway because it's not pleasant. This is starting to sound more and more like a no-brainer.

6 gear does not make a difference but if its a 2009 model and the normal 1.6 is 2007 then its worth it, go for 2009.

I understand that the 2009-onwards models also had improvements to handling. It makes sense that 2 years after its introduction, various improvements can be made on the first generation.

Changes to the suspension and steering were made with the mid-life facelift undertaken in 2010.

My 6 gear 1.3 engine gives me about 460 miles on £30 fuel when cruising at 70-80 MPH.

That's astounding, are you sure it's correct? Depending on price that's somewhere around 5 to 6 gallons for your £30, so you're getting somewhere between 76 and 92 mpg.

At an assumed fuel cost of £1.10 per litre, £30 equates to 27.27 litres or 5.999 gallons. 460 miles divided by 5.999 gallons works out to 76.67 miles per gallon - which I doubt is accurate.

According to the Honest John Real MPG page, the Auris 1.33 has an official combined consumption of 48.7.

I've achieved 48.1 (calculated using brim-to-brim figures) on trips to Skye when the journey has been 60% at motorway speeds, part of the journey through mountainous/hilly areas, with two people on board, the seats folded forwards and a full load of luggage to the window line.

104.9 fuel price, car would of had about £5 fuel inside or less. Total £35 fuel, 460 miles, 7.34 gallons of fuel. 460 divided by 7.34 gives 62 MPG. This is route from London to Hull and back. I get about 48-50 MPG city using stop start and 55-58 on MPG computer on motorway. Using a light foot, coasting and switching from gear 2 to 4 and 4 to 5 then 6 quickly. I was going to make a switch to a hybrid vehicle but after looking at hybrid MPG figures and the figures which I'm getting it works out same or me getting more fuel. First time I have used brim to brim figures and it shows me I get slightly more MPG than what computer shows. I will take picture next time I go on same route (probably Easter) and try posting here.

To be honest I get incredible mileage out of the diesel better than any estimated mileage ... I do 318 miles on a third of tank at 70-80 usually between 17 and 21 litres to fill it back up depending on traffic on journey and weather conditions ie high winds with b roads and hills for about 135 of them miles and about 85 of those are Cornish miles that's not bad really ... Works out alright for my wallet anyway

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links