Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Passenger Airbag Deactivation

Automike

I am having trouble getting the deactivation switch in the drivers's footwell to deactivate the front passenger airbag on my 2010 iQ3.

I have read the Owners Handbook and followed its instructions to the letter but still the light does not stay permanently on. It's as though there is not a final end position to the switch, in as much that when the key is turned fully anticlockwise, the light on the centre console becomes illuminated but as soon as I release the turning pressure, the key position then wants to spring back to the '0' turning the light back off.

Any advice on the subject would therefore be welcomed.

Thanks, Automike.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

have you tried removing the key whilst it is still turned?

Scott, you're a star mate! As you suggested In the fully turned anticlockwise position, I pulled the key out against the lock's spring pressure and although the lock sprung back to its '0' position, the warning light in the centre console remained on confirming the airbag was indeed deactivated. I'm surprised that nobody else on the forum has ever raised this point before as I can't believe I'm the only person to have experienced difficulty deactivating it. Thanks again. Automike.

I have never tried deactivating mine :dontgetit:

Same here. never tried it.

I'm guessing you are turning it off so you can carry a child seat and maybe, a child in the front?

I should think most families wouldn't own an iQ due to the small size and the lack of room to get all the child associated paraphernalia in the back. That is probably the reason no one here has tried the key to turn it off before.

I'm tempted to try it now though just to see if it works. :)

Craig.

Okay, just a bit more clarification on the subject. I have now performed the same steps but this time in daylight and can confirm that the switch does in fact stay in the airbag 'OFF' position if the key is removed quickly whilst still under spring pressure. During this procedure the airbag 'ON' warning light goes out and the airbag 'OFF' comes on in the centre console.

I hope this now clarifies the situation.

Regards Automike.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links