Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Problems

Aslanman

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me here.

I have a 2005 rav 4 that has started behaving erratically. Firstly the car has started to struggle to start but only when engine is warm.

Secondly I have developed a whine on the turbo and thirdly the brakes have become hard when breaking under low revs.

So, I have had a mechanic check this out. The vacuum pump is producing low suction and therefore brakes only operate when higher revs.

Here's the pickle I have replaced the vacuum pump and it's made no change to the pressure from the vacuum.

The whistle is still there and also the starting is still iffy when hot.

Can somebody please help and also help a very confused mechanic.

Many thanks in advance

Neil

Can I just add the complete model s the D4D rav 4 diesel 2.0 xtr

Hi Neil,

Some of this sounds quite simple to sort out.................................is there a rubber hose from the servo going to the inlet manifold or to an exhauster pump?

Mike.

Yes there is a hose that travels from servo to inlet manifold.

Correction the hose goes from servo to vacuum pump which is attached to engine cam.

Mechanic still thinks vacuum pump, but tried two different ones and still same fault.

Both vacuum pumps not producing enough suction at low revs.

Mechanic tried sucking through the pipe and low and behold pedal works. Very very odd.

Hey my friend

I have has this one many times and what happens is the hose collapses on the inside so in effect 'strangling' the air flow. You can't really test it by sucking through it as you can't generate enough 'suck' but i would put money on my diagnosis..................just replace the hose with proper vacuuum hose pipe, one from a Toyota dealer spares dep't would be favourite. Let us know how it goes please.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, will give this a go and then see if we can sort the others out. I will keep you posted. Thanks again. Neil

The whine.. i belive this comes from the fuel filter housing. .

Hard to start when warm = an/or more injector going bad.. my nr 4 injectorhad gone bad, and it was a pain in th ***** to start when warm, eventually ot wouldn't start at all.. had it diagnosed and values on it was way of. New one sortet it!

Hmm. Right. Hoses now fine. It's either the servo or vacuum pump. Done the pedal tests for servo, seems ok. So any ideas? Knackered servo diaphragm or under performing vac pump?

Are you fitting a new or used vacuum pump? If used it probably needs an over haul with new blades and seals

post-45863-0-60090700-1424805234_thumb.p

the whine is probably the source of the air leak

sack your mechanic

Hmm. Right. Hoses now fine. It's either the servo or vacuum pump. Done the pedal tests for servo, seems ok. So any ideas? Knackered servo diaphragm or under performing vac pump?

Hi Neil, i take it you fitted brand new hoses and the problem still exists?

This whine, to determine it is the pump can you see it easily, an old mechanics trick, as long as you don't have long hair, is to push the handle end of a large screwdriver against your ear and using the pointed end touch the pump, you should be able to hear the whine clearly, a bit like a doctor's stephascope (Please excuse spelling).

Mike

Hi, after some diagnosis it appears the vac pump has had it. Does anybody know where I can get one new or reconditioned so we know it's working that doesn't cost the earth?

Any help very much appreciated.

Or actually anyone who can recondition the one I have. Cheers

Or actually anyone who can recondition the one I have. Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links