Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Tank Heat Shield Part No.77641A

wj3333

Guys for your info. I have a 2004 toyota avensis d4d with 140k on clock. One day the heat shield at the back was completely corroded to the point it fell off. Called toyota dealer who quoted a whopping £125inc for a corrosive sheet of metal. I then searched local scrap yards with no joy as they where completely shot. Then i found AMAYAMA.COM £17 and £25 postage to uk. Anyone else used this site? I placed the order as i was reluctant to part with my hard earned cash for a sheet of metal which is a really bad design.

post-101927-0-88013700-1424425335_thumb.

post-101927-0-39475900-1424425428_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Today 06/03/2015 just received a brand new replacement part through AMAYAMA website. Put my car vin in and matched the part to fit my toyota avensis. £17 for the part plus £25 postage. Slight downside being customs charge of £22. So total cost being £64. Compared to Toyota UK charging a whopping £125inc for the worst designed part ever.

post-101927-0-11005900-1425669198_thumb.

• Like 1

I've no plans to pay that. I repainted mine a couple of years ago - what a pain to remove! When mine goes I'll be stitching a piece of refashioned aluminium sheet onto (what's left of) the original shield. Crazy price for what it is!

Even a metal fabricator would be able to provide a repair or solution cheaper than the part... Scandalous :S

• Like 2

The scandal thing is getting a tax of 22 for something worth 17.

If i was to do it again i would use thermal/aluminium tape. I tried with a flat piece of aluminium at 1.5mm thick and it was too difficult to fit properly. Was worried of it rubbing against the brake lines and especially the plastic fuel tank. However amayama.com is definitely worth a look. I was very tempted to walk into pinkstone toyota and show them the part and to ask them why they charge so much for a part that has to travel about 25miles from derby to stoke. But this one travelled 1000s of miles from japan at half the cost.

That customs charge seems a little high.

From my limited knowledge, anything valued less than £135 (inclusive of shipping) does not require any duty to be paid, but it is subject to VAT.

I'm presuming the VAT is 20%, so I would have thought it should have been £50.40 total.

I'm interested because I've been looking at the same website and based my estimates on the details above. I'm obviously missing something!

Did they itemise the customs charges?

Proper annoyed now. The part was made in the UK. WTF is wrong with this world

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Got mine home today :clap: , took about 4 weeks from date of ordering, from AMAYAMA and the costs were as follows -

Heatshield - £17.12

Shipping - £19.97

Import costs - £23.63 (consisting of Import VAT of £10.12 and Clearance Fee of £13.50)

Total - £60.72

Still half the price of buying direct from Toyota and disgraceful that it was made in the UK sent half way round the world and then returned. Toyota UK really need to get their act together with charges :nono: as I have been a loyal Toyota driver for 17 years but spares prices are ridiculous in the UK!!

• Like 1

Luckily i have got away with putting a bigger washer on for one of the bolts and sprayed the rest with wd40..i might paint with hammerite when its next on a ramp

• 5 years later...

Thank you! then I just need to figure out if they are reliable? do you think its a genuine Toyota part?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links