Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Inverter

smudge-1991

Has anyone got one fitted in their car. I have been looking at one and wondered what people have got and what they run off it

Hi Ben,

I bought an inverter to take to Le Mans in 2011 to pump up air mattress - I haven't tested in the auris yet but will do next week and let you know the product details - what did you want it to do?

John

I have a 1000w inverter, although not actually fitted in the car, I run it from a spare 12v car Battery. It's kept for power cuts and it will run a pc & router, TV, power tools etc quite happily. I've even tested it with a 1000w fan heater to see if it would cope, it did but the Battery really fizzed! I'm sure if i tried powering it from the main car Battery it would run it flat in no time at all.

Basically I want to run a laptop or DVD player the odd work light every so often

I used to use an 1800W inverter in a catering trailer to power the two electric motors on a donut fryer and lighting. I used a large Leisure Battery which needed charging every night. Absolutely ideal for your laptop, emergency lighting, or even an electric drill, but as noted above, a Battery is no good for any item using a heating element, such as a kettle. If you have the room to carry a Leisure Battery as well, that's the best option as they are designed to take a constant draw rather than a car battery which is more suited to a quick occassional draw (starter motor).

My 1000w inverter was originally bought to power a freezer in power cuts and would be overkill for what you want to do. 250w or smaller would be plenty for what you're intending to run from it I'm sure.

I would still be cautious of using it for long periods without the engine running though for risk of flattening the Battery. Perhaps have the laptop plugged in charging up while you're driving.

Basically I want to run a laptop or DVD player the odd work light every so often

Would a tablet/ipad do the same job?

I don't intend to watch this all while driving the DVD players are for the kids in the back and I lost the cigarette charger ( I know I can get a replacemant charger cheap) for them and my wife uses the laptop on drives to do things like update her iPod or sort thru photos from being on holiday all that sort of crap and we go to Cornwall and back fairly often so only ever for long journeys really ....

AFAIK laptops work on low voltage dc current, the power cable is usually a trasformer. Can you buy a car charger for your specific laptop?

I have looked but can't find one and the inverter just alloys me to use for other things that I use while away from home like dremel charge and power packs etc while on the move ... ( do mobile mechanics stuff as well )

Fairly sure I got one from lidl or aldi very reasonable.

I wouldn't use it unless the engine is on though!

It would be used in the Auris for long journeys and my van when I'm out on the job for charging up tools or running the odd bit of kit from it .... I would only ever use it with the engine on anyway .... I have been round a few supermarkets to see if I can find one cheap ish .... Would buy off eBay but don't want to wait for delivery man so want to just buy one had my eyes on a couple in maplin and they are cheaper price in comparison to most places that do have them .... I did run a petrol generator in the van but the noise was deafening when on and meant carrying fuel and 2 stroke round all the time and can't use it in the car on the move without a wide range of issues why it's a stupid thing to do lol .... But this is sort of the best of both worlds

1000w inverter would be plenty for you

I currently have a RING 2100w rated stable for 12 continuous hours use

I have a slave Battery connected to the van in parallel as a buffer cause I have been known to leave inverter turned on over night and this gives me extra juice to start van next morning and a good buffer for jump starting machines that I occasionally do

its fitted in my service van ( plant engineer)

I use it for

my microwave

my kettle

my suitcase inverter welder

my 110v transformer to power my drill and grinder

I charge my laptop

I charge batteries for my handlamps and cordless drill etc

don't know what I would do without one now