Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space Saver

kevin h

So, looking at the Hybrid Excel, but don't like the idea of no spare. Anybody out there carrying a sapre, does it fit comfortably below the floor in the boot?

I'm looking at an Icon Plus and have the same question in mind.

There is a Space saver wheel kit available for all new Auris versions incl both hatch and Tourer body styles, however on the Hybrid hatch only due to the shallower boot floor you do loose most of the lower boot space and do require the upper deck floor ( standard in the UK ) to give a flat boot floor.

I got a spare wheel kit with my Auris when I bought it, cost me £100 and I just used it recently. It's a pig to get out, you have to lift the rim from the back because it fouls the plastic lip of the boot trim at the front. I found the spare wheel well is nowhere big enough to take the punctured wheel, even the 16" one.

• 2 weeks later...

The space saver wheel fits into the estate boot, with an expanded polystyrene mould to hold the jack etc. However, the screw to hold it fixed to the boot floor is too long unless the wheel is inserted the other way up. Then the mould will not fit into the cavity. The assembly is not fit for purpose.

The space saver wheel fits into the estate boot, with an expanded polystyrene mould to hold the jack etc. However, the screw to hold it fixed to the boot floor is too long unless the wheel is inserted the other way up. Then the mould will not fit into the cavity. The assembly is not fit for purpose.

Attached is a list of part numbers required to fit a spare in an Auris TS, If your wheel retaining bolt is too long I would say it is wrong go back to your supplier.

post-45863-0-05051800-1425410269_thumb.p

I got the space saver for auris icon hybrid estate, wish I had got full size wheel.

Under the second floor I have space saver and bucket of salt on top of it! Plenty of room......

Nice to see that the space saver does its job done. I too prefer an actual tyre than the kits. It might be more work changing but you're going to drive away for sure.

I got the space saver for auris icon hybrid estate, wish I had got full size wheel.

Under the second floor I have space saver and bucket of salt on top of it! Plenty of room......

Has anyone got a full size wheel in the current (2013-onwards) Auris hatchback?

I'm definitely going for a space-saver but would like a full size alloy spare if available. I'm just wondering whether the wheel well is big enough and how much boot depth would be lost.

Has anyone got a full size wheel in the current (2013-onwards) Auris hatchback?

I'm definitely going for a space-saver but would like a full size alloy spare if available. I'm just wondering whether the wheel well is big enough and how much boot depth would be lost.

Might be possible on a standard hatch but you would loose all of the lower boot space and have to use the upper deck, No chance on a Hybrid hatch as a space saver only just fits under the upper deck

• Like 1

Might be possible on a standard hatch but you would loose all of the lower boot space and have to use the upper deck, No chance on a Hybrid hatch as a space saver only just fits under the upper deck

Thanks very much Devon Agyo, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

So if I've understood this thread right, you can buy a spacesaver spare kit for a hybrid Auris that fits fine, albeit with the boot deck in the upper position.

But if you have a flat, the flat tyre won't fit?

I have the auris icon estate and you can fit a smart car in the lower boot!!!

I don't know about the hybrid but I have a standard hatchback and when I got a flat the punctured wheel would not fit in the spare wheel well (as I previously stated in Post# 4). That's only with 205mm width - just over 8 inches wide - so if your car has 225 mm width tyres (8.85 inches wide) it woud be worse.

I'd also add that if I get a puncture in one of the front wheels again I'd fit the space saver to a back wheel and then use the full size wheel on the front. The spare is skinny, has 60 psi pressure and I found it very noisy. I haven't done the math to calculate the rolling radius but seems to me the diff gears might have to work harder.

You do not need to calculate anything. You need a measuring instrument. By mine opinion the spare should have the same diameter as the standard tyre. Otherwise not only the gears will work harder but the abs and esp and hill start, etc.

Teodor, just FYI the difference in the circumference of my space saver wheel compared to my normal road wheel equates to over 1,000 rpm at 50 mph.

You say the ABS will have to work harder... ABS sensors detect sudden deceleration of a road wheel indicating an impending skid and send this info to the controller. This is entirely different from a wheel rotating at a different speed in a stable condition which would not generate such a signal.

You say the ESP will have to work harder.....Really? How so? and please don't copy and paste in what Wiki says, that is so tiresome. I'm looking for some specifics about sensor settings and thresholds etc to support your claim.

You say that Hill Start will be affected..... Really? How so?

How about the poor old TCS? Why should it be left out of the equation?

So, in essence. Get a space saver but you will lose the space under the floor at its highest level. However, you won't want much in your boot when you need to use it, because rhw full size wheel won't fit under the floor, so bang goes most if the available space. Who cares about the effect in driving, mpg,abs etc. The space saver is for the short journey to the tyre fitter to get a repair or replacement. My Prius needed a space saver for 15 miles at no more than 50 mph. No problem and no noticeable effect on driving. All in all, I don't think I'll get the Auris HSD.

Mod edit: post edited to correct the awful spelling

• 1 month later...

I am very disappointed my new auris excel hybrid came with a (in my opinion) useless foam repair kit and no jack. No guarantee that foam will work and if used need to buy a new tyre. A very expensive puncture repair. How do I rotate tyres or just even take a wheel off to inspect without a jack?

6 years ago my Prius came with a full size spare and tool kit - brilliant.

I resolved to buy a space saver and now discover it compromises boot space- what a hopeless design by Toyota.

I have still to buy a jack and my question is do I need to go to Toyota or will any scissor Jack do - say from halfor dis - looks like slot will fit over seam at jacking points.

Any suggestions welcomed.

I will try and put picture on here, bear with me

• 6 months later...

I've recently picked up free European breakdown via my work, but on reading the small print, they won't attend a wrecked wheel or blowout unless there is a spare wheel with the car.

I bought a space saver spare from Toyota yesterday, which they kindly fitted while I was at the garage, but they had to place the jack on order, to be collected tomorrow (Sat).

From the earlier posts, am I correct in thinking the jack comes with a foam insert that fits into and holds the jack inside the spare wheel ?

On the auris it fits in the foreward storage tray under the front part of the boot floor

On the auris it fits in the foreward storage tray under the front part of the boot floor

Cheers Andy, but looking in my boot I'm not seeing a forward storage tray ?