Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updating Sat Nav (2015 Aygo)

spospe

We have just ordered a new Aygo for delivery in April and it will come with the in-built Toyota version of the Tom-Tom Sta Nav system. The salesman said that the only way to update the Sat Nav was to bring it in and let them do it at the dealers. We have several Tom-Toms and update them via the PC without any difficulty. Does anyone know if it is possible to DIY the updates for the Aygo, or is it really a dealer visit?

I take it you mean the £400 option that integrates into the 7" display? I have that option on my x-clusiv. So far as I know they swap over the SD card it comes on for an updated version. I did know it was from Tom Tom.

I am collecting my brand new 2015 Aygo today and have the sat nav, someone told me the annual map update costs £150.00 which seems a bit steep. I too have several Tom toms that update via the computer and wondered if this new model is similar,

Although the mapping is TomTom, think the update system is different to the stand alone sat nav devices that TomTom produce.

£150-200 seems to be a typical cost for vehicle manufacturer sat nav system updates.

I think others will agree that this price is artificially high but then if it is a job for a Toyota agent I suppose there is a labour charge to consider, oh my phone just rang in the middle of typing this to say my car is ready to collect, yipeee 😃

Admittedly the update charge does seem high - but is typical of the charges for in-car sat nav updates (regardless of who the vehicle manufacturer is).

That's correct Frostyballs I believe Range Rover and BMW are among some of the highest prices out there and still use a DVD system!

Thanks for the replies thus far. I was quoted, "between £20 to £25 at the annual service". It is not good that there should be this degree of uncertainty and I am hoping for some clarification soon.

My stand-alone Tom Tom Start 25 comes with 'free' lifetime map updates and I really cannot see why Toyota cannot arrange a similar system; especially in view of the cost of their sat nav system. When I get some definitive answers, I will post them here (may not be until the first service next year though!)

my mk1 aygo move with style came with a tom tom that I can pull out and upgrade. Going to do one soon if I can remember but I don't update it regularly tbh. Even less so if I get the mk2 Aygo expression with the sat nav and they charge for its upgrade!

I've just been out for a run in my new Aygo and I am a little disappointed in the touch navigation system, no spoken road names or motorway lane guidance instructions. It just says "turn left" instead of "turn left on to long lane" for example.

that's disappointing that it doesn't do spoken road names. Tom Toms have been doing that for ages

With our Tom-Tom systems, the spoken road names is a software option which is user controlled, are you sure that there is no means of turning it on?

Well I have been through all the settings which are somewhat basic to say the least and cannot find any way to do it, I think I must be perhaps only one of a few with the satnav so will have to wait until it becomes more popular to get my answer.

We will not get our new Aygo until the middle of April, but if I cannot see how to program the Sat-Nav to give road names, then I will be asking the Dealer to show me how to do it.

Don't you all think that it is wrong that we are asking each other these questions? Surely the Dealers should be able to answer? Yet why are we asking each other and not them?

We will not get our new Aygo until the middle of April, but if I cannot see how to program the Sat-Nav to give road names, then I will be asking the Dealer to show me how to do it.

Don't you all think that it is wrong that we are asking each other these questions? Surely the Dealers should be able to answer? Yet why are we asking each other and not them?

You have a fair point but when I first enquired about the satnav as an option I seemed to know more about it than they did.

At £400 they probably thought most people would buy one from Argos instead for £80 with free map updates. Honda charge £135 just for an updated DVD for there sat Nav so it's standard price. Surprised users would go for the option at £400 as you won't get the money back on resale.

Went to go see my sister today who lives about 20 miles away so I put her postcode in the satnav which took me up a different road then I took a wrong turn. The satnav did no reroute me instead it just stopped directing me so I had to pull over and start again.

• 1 month later...

We have had our xclusiv since march and the nav takes a bit of getting used to. Definitely not as user friendly as the built in tom tom in earlier models. Cant find anywhere to add road names to the display and the journey time is always wrong. We set out for a 70 min journey, it said it was over 2 hours. By the time we got there, the nav was saying 1 min left, so it rights itself, but with no rhyme or reason.

And the lack of clock on the map screen does my head in.

to be fair, i haven't checked if there is any updates yet which may fix this, but i doubt it.

it seems they rushed it out a bit without road testing it much.

when we had our aygo 1 a 2014 model we only had free updates for 3 months(registered 27th march 2014 updates ended june),which feel is awfull, you have bought a new car and thats all you get,

buy a tom tom sat nav for £130 and you get 1 year of updates so why do toyota restrict to 3 months besides the obvious more money in the till.

Built in Sat nav are always going to be a more expensive option rather than a stand alone unit.

You are paying for convenience and very tidy installation that doesn't run out of Battery at critical time.

Money well spent in my opinion. There are many more options on the Aygo that I think are a pointless expense. Others who want colour coded wheels and a red roof clearly disagree.

This "you'll never get your money back " idea is not the point if it makes the car more desirable. Some "poverty spec" cars are virtually unsaleable. Try shifting a high end Audi with cloth seats.

Whilst it's true I've not used it a lot it does seem ok, not the last word in sophistication but perfectly serviceable.

I agree the lack of a clock on the nav screen is daft (I've raised technical query with Toyota)

I used my built in sat nav and also had my tomtom running as well on a 4 hour journey to Northumberland & found the tomtom better so will use it all the time. We drive home tomorrow so will not even bother with the built in device. I am a bit annoyed that this expensive optional extra in my 2015 Aygo seems years behind.

I used my built in sat nav and also had my tomtom running as well on a 4 hour journey to Northumberland & found the tomtom better so will use it all the time. We drive home tomorrow so will not even bother with the built in device. I am a bit annoyed that this expensive optional extra in my 2015 Aygo seems years behind.

That's a very interesting comment.

Maybe those of us who have comments about the Nav's ability (or lack of it) should bend Toyota's ear as I have done regarding the clock.

If enough compIain it is possible a update will be issued..... But don't hold your breath

Reply from Toyota.

"I have spoken to our Product Team and I regret to advise you it is not possible to display the clock time on the map screen. Unfortunately, there are no plans to introduce a software update to alter the specification of the unit. I am sorry for the disappointment this will cause.

It is possible to view the time on the information screen, I have attached an image for reference.

We very much value the feedback we receive from Toyota customers and use this to drive our programme of continuous improvement. Our Product Team have noted your comments and whilst I cannot promise any changes will be made, your feedback will be considered during future development of the model. "

Maybe we should all raise a query and at least an update may be forthcoming for the next generation of x-nav.

I'm still staggered that no one raised it during the development of the GUI. The first time you navigate to any destination it is instinct to occasional check the time.