Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T25 Headlight Moisture? Reason For Exploding Bulb?

avensisd4d786

My offside headlight bulb blew the other day so as you do I fitted another bulb

two days later my headlight bulb was out again, same side- I thought it may be a loose connection.

I took the 'new' bulb out and it was missing the glass part, so it should still be in headlight, it was dark so I fitted another h7 to be legal.

in the morning I noticed the headlight was full of moisture.

pictures attached.

post-125194-0-99925000-1424713160_thumb.

post-125194-0-60140100-1424713170_thumb.

I had steamed up headlights on an Accord a while ago. I left the rubber bulb cover off for a few days to let it dry out then refitted it. No further problems.

• Like 1

Once moisture gets in the heat of the bulb is seemingly inadequate to clear the condensation. I had the same problem with my 58 plate. The pre-facelift headlights regularly suffered with condensation and had a design fault which required a replacement seal. Toyota told me that the later vehicles had modified units and rarely had this issue. There's a thread on here covering the earlier faults.

Eventually I decided to remove the headlight and blast it with a hairdryer through the bulb holes. I was careful in replacing the seals and haven't had any condensation for over a year.

Set aside a good hour or so to remove the unit. There's a YouTube video which may help.

• Like 2

moisture can blow the bulb

but hope you didn't make the schoolboy error of handling the glass bit of a halogen bulb lol

small quantity oil from skin heats up on glass and interupts the halogen gas cycle being drawn back into the tungsten element or some scientific tish like that.lol

• Like 1

I had steamed up headlights on an Accord a while ago. I left the rubber bulb cover off for a few days to let it dry out then refitted it. No further problems.

I was going to leave the back cover off for a day.

Once moisture gets in the heat of the bulb is seemingly inadequate to clear the condensation. I had the same problem with my 58 plate. The pre-facelift headlights regularly suffered with condensation and had a design fault which required a replacement seal. Toyota told me that the later vehicles had modified units and rarely had this issue. There's a thread on here covering the earlier faults.

Eventually I decided to remove the headlight and blast it with a hairdryer through the bulb holes. I was careful in replacing the seals and haven't had any condensation for over a year.

Set aside a good hour or so to remove the unit. There's a YouTube video which may help.

These headlights are new, copies by looking at the make on the light TYC.

moisture can blow the bulb

but hope you didn't make the schoolboy error of handling the glass bit of a halogen bulb lol

small quantity oil from skin heats up on glass and interupts the halogen gas cycle being drawn back into the tungsten element or some scientific tish like that.lol

haha no mate had the gloves on, made that mistake long time ago and learnt from it.

moisture can be hard to get out

try get some small bags silica gel dissicant that you get in new bags and shoes, electronics etc and see if they fit in behind cover without bursting

id personaly remove light as this is where ive had best success rate over the years and gives you a good look at light to see if its needing sealed anywhere

• Like 1

moisture can be hard to get out

try get some small bags silica gel dissicant that you get in new bags and shoes, electronics etc and see if they fit in behind cover without bursting

id personaly remove light as this is where ive had best success rate over the years and gives you a good look at light to see if its needing sealed anywhere

I am going to but no time until weekend, and need some sun

• Like 1