Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Not Starting

geoweb2k14

Yet another problem with my 2lt d4d avensis. It will start first thing in the morning no problem, but if I drive it for about 10 km and turn off the engine and try restart straight away it won't. It turns over but jumps like mad to try and start but doesn't. If I leave it alone for about 15 to 20 mins it will start no problem. If I try starting it before this the Battery goes completely dead after about four turn overs. Could this simply be the Battery not sending enough power to the starting motor, the alternator or another expensive problem from toyota. All answers will be investigated. Thanks in advance guys!!

If the Battery is dying from only 4x trying to turnover I would get it tested. I see that your car is a 2005, has it had a Battery replacement before?

Hi heidfirst, yes I put a new Battery into it last year, I'm puzzled as to why it won't start after driving it. Shouldn't the alternator be charging the Battery as I'm driving hence power in Battery.

Is the charging circuit a big issue and how or where can I test it for correct voltage?

Thanks exvec, what was your problem in the end or did you get it sorted

sounds like a power problem

fanbelt adjusted ok / they don't always squeal ?

no parasytic drain from boot light / glow relay etc?

after that

any auto electric shop or even motor factor should give a free Battery and charge test

then try sell you the stuff to fix it lol

Thanks avensis rob, having some trouble with this avensis.

Poor warm/hot start but fine when cool/cold and excessive vibration whilst attempting to start are classic symptoms of a failing starter motor, a well known issue on Avensis & Verso with 1CD 2.0 Diesel engine, Toyota sell a modified starter motor to cure this

see: http://users.telenet.be/robberecht/reserve/TSB_starterproblem_EG6005-TOY.pdf

taken form Exvec's thread extended cranking of the engine will quickly draw the power from a tired/old Battery so you may find that a new Battery along with the modified starter will be needed

• Like 1

Cheers for that Devon, thats exactly my problem that you've explained here. I'll buy the new starter motor first before I decide if I need a new Battery too. Any idea how much a new starter might be? Thanks for your help

Thanks exvec, what was your problem in the end or did you get it sorted

Well its not fixed as such yet,i have ordered a new brush box for the Starter so gonna give it an overall so to speak ,so will let folk no if its successful or not.

Big bit of string round the crank shaft pulley to start it lol

• Like 1

Big bit of string round the crank shaft pulley to start it lol

Yeah never thought of that Rob lol..:D

Ok lads here's an update on my problem.

I bought a new Battery and fitted it to my car, still car not starting when warm. Site I went and bought a recon starter motor and fitted it. It now starts fine but just as it starts it gives a kinda screech sound for a second and then it's gone. Anyone know what this could be or have a fix for it? Could it be the starter gear not coming back out on time as the flywheel spins or what?

Please tell me that this is not another problem I'm faced with

• Like 1

OK George ,if you have eliminated the warm start problem your getting somewhere,i had that problem on another car (vw polo) which did turn out to be the bendix ,i would continue with it a while as the screech might just start to wear off a little with use if not then the motor will have to come off again and returned to who ever sorry for the bad news.

• Like 1

Thanks exvec, what the **** is the bendix? :$....

Thanks exvec, what the **** is the bendix? :$....

The Bendix is the spiral gear which along with the solenoid engages the starter motor with the fly wheel..

Looky ..Looky..http://www.howacarworks.com/basics/how-the-starting-system-works.

You can get problems with the bendix when the Brushes are worn.but you have bought a recon one so puzzling.

I see, very informative Exvec. , cheers

All VW's have that screeching sound when they get old. Its the starter motor bearings which need re-greasing to cure, probably same with your case. Doesn't make a difference to your starting, only a annoying sound.

When the Brushes or commutator become worn the starter will become lazy or even fail totally,simply because it is not spinning fast enough to force the solenoid to throw the bendix thus actuating the pinion gear,which in turn will cause the said gear to contact flywheel on its edge and this makes the screeching sound in question,what i don't understand is if the one you bought has been re conned then it should have had a new brush box fitted and very lightly greased around the Bendix and pinion gear.

?What make is the starter and where did you purchase it,i'd be inclined to return it for a refund.

There was no make on it. It doesn't happen all the time. Mainly on its first start of the day.