Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Con Temperature Test

Phil White

I have just been testing the temperature of the air on on my brand new Aygo expression. Measurements were taken with my trusty laser thermometer.

Ambient temp in car = 8c

Heater controls on coldest setting and not on re circulation.

Aircon off = 5.4c

Aircon on = minus 0.4c

The only reason I did this test was to see how effective the air on is as vehicle manufacturers are known for not filling a/c systems with the correct levels of refrigerant as this can save them millions in costs.

Of the 17 new cars we've had from a variety of manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai), 11 have had air conditioning and each system has been fully effective for the period of time we've owned the vehicle (on average 3 years).

To date we've never had to have any air con system recharged

Don't know where you get this info about manufacturers under filling air con systems.

I a not saying that a/c systems are not working but not filled to the correct recommended level. For example a cars capacity might me 550grams of R134a but only leaves the factory with 500grams therefore saving the manufacturer money, I agree that it's no problem for the vehicle owner but is a well know thing spread across the motor trade and indeed my examiner told me this when I took my automotive aircon training to get my licence.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links