Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge Misreading

Chippy01

Went to the local garage to fill up today. I was down to 2 pips on the dash readout, and filled her up as usual.

When the car went into Ready Mode, I noticed that I only had 6 pips showing on the dash readout instead of the full 10.

I switched the car off and on a couple of times, but the readout is still showing 6 pips for a full tank.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if they have what was the problem and the fix?

You sure it's actually full? Did they fill it for you? Were you on a serious slope at the time?

Filled it myself Grumpy. Level ground, 32 litres put in on top of the 2 pip reading. Pump clicked off as usual when the tank was full, as it has done many times before.

They're not reported as failing often.

I do know that if you fill less than 10 litres or so the car doesn't register it. So if you're the type who adds £10 here or £10 there, then you might actually have a full tank and the car only report 3/4's. But if you popped in 32 litres in one go then it should register.

In that case I think you might have a fault. Being a 2009 you'll be out of warranty and chances are it's an expensive repair. I'd give it a week or two to see if it corrects itself, maybe running the car low and then fill up totally.

What does the fuel remaining computer register? Is that showing 450 miles or 280 or so? If the former, then it's registered correctly somewhere.

Never seen any reports of a fuel gauge reading incorrectly. I find after the pump clicks off the car tank is not full. Let the fuel in the tank settle and slowly keep topping up as the fuel settles; you can get quite a lot more fuel in.

Never seen any reports of a fuel gauge reading incorrectly. I find after the pump clicks off the car tank is not full. Let the fuel in the tank settle and slowly keep topping up as the fuel settles; you can get quite a lot more fuel in.

I was going to say what you said but his figures add up. At 2 pips I've found there's a good 100 miles left or about 10-15 litres. The OP added 32 litres to this 10-15 litres which would indicate a full 45 litre tank.

My fuel guage is usually top heavy in that you can drive about 100 miles from full before the top pip disappears. If the OPs is far from the top then he's either 150 miles short on fuel or his guage is bust.

... or his guage is bust.

or his 'sender' (unit on tank that measures level)

Sender could be stuck, give it a whack if you can get to it, I assume there may be access under the rear seat somewhere ?

Alternatively could be resistance in the connector on the sender (again, if you can get to it) pull it off and on again.

Apparently the connection is under the rear floor service hole cover.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I've been out at a bike show all day today, so the car wasn't used. Weather permitting, tomorrow I might get chance to see if I can find an access to the sender under the rear seat. If it's not there I guess the tank will have to be dropped?

I'll check the miles remaining as well; it should be close on 500 miles on a full tank.

If I tried ToyotaAuris's suggestion, what will I lose besides the radio presets? Would Fuel/mileage records and bluetooth links be wiped out as well?

More than likely.

But you do need to leave it a minute or two for it to reset. I might be wrong but I'm sure I read about 10 minutes.

Well it's chucking it down, so no car dismantling today.

I did however, put it into Ready mode to see what's happening.

My fuel gauge is now reading 8 pips, and my miles to empty is reading 275 miles.

I am more than a little confused :unsure:

You tried filling it up elsewhere? I'm thinking it's only 3/4 full whatever you think. ;)

Haven't driven it since I filled up on Friday. And circumstances are dictating that very few miles will be driven in the next week or so as well.

I'll report back when I've done a couple of hundred miles and refuelled again.

Took a spin out today of about 20 miles. Parked up for a few hours, and when I returned things have returned to normal. Full 10 pips and 490 miles showing to empty. :clap:

I hate glitches!!

I hate glitches!!

They're all part of the fun :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links